Home » Audio » Speaker » Fts
Fts [message #16770] Wed, 04 August 2004 17:24 Go to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
I did an experiment today to see Fts shift when a speaker was put on a baffle with a hole smaller than Sd and on a baffle with no hole at all. Fts in free air was 42 hz. Here are the results:

Free air - 42 hz
Baffle with 40% Sd opening - 38 hz
Baffle with no opening - 158 hz

As I expected, when the speaker was mounted face down on a board with no opening, Fts went up because of the small sealed volume between the cone and board. What I didn't expect is Fts went down when the speaker was mounted on a board with a hole smaller than Sd.

I can understand that a sealed box makes the speaker stiffer and raises Fts. I accept Bill Fitzmaurice's explaination that when there is a hole in the baffle, the air mass between the cone and board is allowed to move, so its mass adds to the cone mass, tending to shift Fts down. This means there must be two opposing forces, one stiffness and the other mass. Duh, of course that is the case.

I wonder what size hole strikes a balance between stiffness and mass so Fts isn't changed?

Re: Fts [message #16771 is a reply to message #16770] Wed, 04 August 2004 20:52 Go to previous message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
You'll find that even an opening in the baffle equal to Sd will lower Fs somewhat; Fs is traditionally measured with the driver suspended in the air away from boundaries so as not to corrupt the result.

Previous Topic: fs with horn flare... Bill Fitzmaurice???
Next Topic: PI TAD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 15:35:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout