Home » Audio » Speaker » bessel arrays?
bessel arrays? [message #16658] Mon, 05 July 2004 21:12 Go to next message
adavis464 is currently offline  adavis464
Viscount
Are there any advantages for home use.

Re: bessel arrays? [message #16659 is a reply to message #16658] Mon, 05 July 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Check over on the Array forum. My understanding is that they approximate a point source even though there are several drivers. I think maybe describing it as a planar source is more accurate - Something that acts like one large vibrating plane as opposed to several smaller ones. So but you would expect that would give advantages of increased output, sensitivity and reduced excursion and distortion over a single driver.

Jim Griffin has done a lot of work on arrays and he is more fond of line sources made using a vertical line of drivers. You might kick these ideas around with him, as I know he's investigated many types of arrays and will undoubtedly offer a world of insight. You'll find he checks the Array forum from time to time so you might post a query about Bessel arrays over there.

Re: bessel arrays? [message #16660 is a reply to message #16658] Tue, 06 July 2004 07:06 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Don Keele wrote an excellent paper on Bessel Arrays in the Journal Audio Engineering Society, Vol.38, No. 10, 1990 October in which he evaluates Bessel arrays. I would not recommend Bessel arrays for any home application. Their effect is a far field summation and only has an efficiency that is the same as a single driver in the array.

Check to see how many pro sound applications use Bessel arrays--that number is a very small number indeed. That will speak volumes about the viability of Bessel arrays. I doubt Philips has earned the cost of their patent from BAs.

Jim

Previous Topic: bessel arrays?
Next Topic: Array Speaker vs a high efficiency horn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 23:28:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio