Home » Audio » Speaker » This open-baffle speaker thing
This open-baffle speaker thing [message #16647] Sun, 04 July 2004 06:34 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
With all respect due to the founder of these august forums, you gotta’ try this out (I sound like Freddy Ireson).

There’s real magic here, and it can be as efficient as you want it to be [I’m using the Fostex 208ESigma at a reported 97dB/w, but you can get better with more $]

To make it work, you have to resign yourself to four facts.

1. There’s no such thing as a full range loudspeaker
2. The response above, say, 4 KHz, is problematic – you need a tweeter
3. The baffle should be asymmetric, targeting a cut-off of around 200 Hz
4. You need a good woofer from wherever up to 200 Hz. Right now I’m using Altec 3182s sealed, but I think I’m going to try JBL 2225s ported next, unless I can find the money for at least four new drivers for OB bass. Hey, maybe even a Karlson in honor of Freddy.

What you get are the dynamics and immediacy of horns without the colorations. It’s just the best I’ve ever heard, and I don’t think I’m being too delusional. My oldest daughter, an amateur musician with a pretty good ear, told me some of her favorite vocal CDs have never sounded better on any system we’ve had (and she loves to be critical of Dad’s pitiful attempts). I was playing the Stereophile test CD and when the dog on the CD started barking my dogs came running (that never happened before).

All of this, the need to XO to avoid 4 Khz resonances, the use of open baffles for the midrange, big woofers in big enclosures, is described in GA Briggs’ 1950 edition of his loudspeaker book. Had I been paid closer attention to what I was reading, I would have started down this path long ago.

Re: This open-baffle speaker thing [message #16649 is a reply to message #16647] Sun, 04 July 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Gotta love the sound of an open baffle with a fullrange driver. I've been using them for over two years now and see no reason to go to another type of enclosure yet.
Why stop at 200Hz with the OB concept? I really like the sound of subwoofers in an OB. Very clean and open sounding.

Dave :^)

You're right... [message #16650 is a reply to message #16649] Sun, 04 July 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't want to stop, I just need a little funding enhancement....

Re: This open-baffle speaker thing [message #16652 is a reply to message #16647] Sun, 04 July 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robd is currently offline  robd
Esquire
I agree. The first thing I noticed is the clarity of the bass. I'm using EV LS12's like Dave, and even without subs it sounds great. I can imagine OB subs really sounding amazing.
The tweeter sounds the best coming in at 4khz without an inductor. I started much higher, but contrary to what I thought, it got sharper the lower I went.
Rob

Re: This open-baffle speaker thing [message #16655 is a reply to message #16647] Mon, 05 July 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mvida is currently offline  mvida
Esquire
Hi,
I'm using FE206E in BR enclosure, a suposed Fullrange speaker, and I really don't like the sound. Before I read your post I was thinking on a BL Horn, but now maybe your solution sound me more enjoyable. But because I know not much about speakers design, I need a lot of help. I need plans and a list of parts for the crossover (I can't buy another amp).
My system is: Jolida cdp and an ASL MGPPL6 Amp. I listen Jazz vocal, Classical Rock, popular music (folk) and some Pop.
Can you help me?
Thanks

Re: This open-baffle speaker thing [message #16656 is a reply to message #16655] Mon, 05 July 2004 10:44 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I use active crossovers (Rane), but you can calculate basic crossovers at the link below.

You can use the very simple "Edge" program to come up with a baffle size and driver placement. In general you want a rectangular baffle with assymetric placement of the driver.

http://www.tolvan.com/edge/ ("The Edge")

Previous Topic: Need help using "Edge" to design Baffle Step Correction Circuit please.
Next Topic: Improvements to Straight 8's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 18:45:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout