Home » Audio » General » Great Plains Audiofest Writeup, Page 1
Great Plains Audiofest Writeup, Page 10 [message #1644 is a reply to message #1643] Thu, 05 May 2005 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Audio Crafters Guild and Zephyr Audio Room

Many of you know Norman Tracy of Audio Crafters Guild for his high quality DACs and participation on various discussion forums. He brought out an assortment of delicious goodies, including his new oneZ loudspeaker, based on Fostex FE107E, FW108N, or F120A drivers. The oneZ is the smaller loudspeaker shown below.

http://greatplainsaudiofest.com/2005/Photos/Norman_Tracy.jpg
Norman Tracy of Audio Crafters Guild

Norman has done a lot of work, particularly in the area of DACs, and he has made much of it available to the DIY community. Check out the articles and essays, R & D and projects pages on his website. There's a lot of interesting stuff there, so don't look unless you have some time.

Leo McIntire of Zephyr Audio was there too, with his Zephyr air bearing linear tracking tone arm. This is really something, and I realized that the labcoat award should definitely go to Leo. I didn't have time to stick around this room room nearly as much as I wanted, because I would have liked to see Leo set this up, to know what kind of preparation is required. I'm anxious for him to bring it out to a Great Plains Audio Club meeting sometime.

http://greatplainsaudiofest.com/2005/Photos/Leo_McIntire.jpg
Leo McIntire with his turntable

Leo is an interesting fellow. He has been an audio enthusiast for a long time, and active in the industry. So he remembers many of the events that shaped the industry, and has a lot of intersting stories to tell. I am impressed with this kind of information. I mean, if you think about it, it wasn't that long ago that we went to the moon, but just long enough that there were no personal computers, no AutoCAD, not even scientific calculators. So man went to them moon largely by the efforts of scientists and engineers that depended on slide rules for most of their calculations. This is an example of the kind of thing I'm talking about, and it is very interesting to me. Leo is keen on these kinds of things, and talking with him is very interesting.

Here's a closer look at Leo's turntable:

http://greatplainsaudiofest.com/2005/Photos/Zephyr_Air_Bearing.jpg
SOTA Satellite turntable with Zephyr Air Bearing Linear tracking tone arm

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Anti-Cables, for speakers?
Next Topic: Our second modified tuner report: # 2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 10 14:13:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout