Home » Audio » Speaker » FINISHED basshorn plans!
That's logical. [message #16357 is a reply to message #16355] Sun, 11 April 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
However, I've found in practice that the opposite is true, and that HF transmission through a rounded bend is enhanced as the radii of the bend, particularly the inner radius, is made larger. Thus,while the longest wavelengths require neither reflectors nor radiused bends, as the wavelength is decreased the inner bend radius required for its passage intact though the bend must be increased. As an example, my DR250a loaded with a PAudio SN10 has a HF limit of 4kHz, with an inner bend radius at 2-1/4". The same driver in a larger cabinet of the same basic design with an inner bend radius of 3-1/4" runs to 5kHz. Conventional wisdom says it should be the other way around.

So far as I know Sheerin is the only one who's done extensive theoretical work on what happens in round bends. In truth I've done very little, my route being to build the box first and then try to figure out why it works as well as it does. Either way we both end up in Rome.

The DR250a [message #16370 is a reply to message #16357] Mon, 12 April 2004 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Here's a link to a picture of one.
http://hometown.aol.com/billfitzmaurice/myhomepage/photo.html

Re: The DR250a [message #16371 is a reply to message #16370] Mon, 12 April 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Interesting design, Bill!

It appears to be a group of speakers in a small cluster array each driving a backloaded horn. Is that the case? Or is there a larger driver inside the horn that isn't visible, and the cluster array is midrange drivers?

Re: The DR250a [message #16372 is a reply to message #16371] Tue, 13 April 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The design is a front loaded 'W' folded horn, loaded with a ten inch woofer. Overall size is about 7 cu.ft., weight 35 lbs, intended usage electric bass/keyboards/PA. The visible drivers are tweeters arranged as two vertical arrays in a cross-firing configuration. This gives 45 degree off-axis horizontal dispersion within 3dB of on-axis SPL and 120 degree total horizontal dispersion within 6dB. The trade off to get this is a falling response above 8kHz, but in pro-sound applications this is not problematic.

Link attached to SPL chart.

Re: A heretical tip from a heretic. [message #16406 is a reply to message #16314] Wed, 21 April 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ron S is currently offline  Ron S
Esquire
Have you built any of these yet. I have 64 18" drivers and although I built an LAB and it did go lower than my current MTL subs I would rather use the RCF drivers I own.
Cheers

Re: That's logical. [message #16416 is a reply to message #16357] Tue, 27 April 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Sheerin is currently offline  John Sheerin
Esquire
Hi,
This may be a bit late, but my original images are here:
http://ldsg.snippets.org/HORNS/images/roundbend/

I would not really say this is theoretical work - there is a lot of theoretical work on horn bends out there, but it seems to be mostly in the JASA which is harder to search or other even harder to get journals.

Anyway, looking at my FEA's again, I'd say that for a given frequency, with relatively small horn cross sections, large round bends work well. For larger horn cross sections, reflectors work better. If you're looking at the FEA's, the dimensions on the grid are inches, and as noted, the frequency is 5khz.

John

Thanks for the input [message #16417 is a reply to message #16416] Tue, 27 April 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
and good to see you over here where there's a pretty complete abscence of flaming. Wayne hasn't come out and said so per se but there is a time lag here between posting and when the message appears, so my guess is there's some active 'filtering' going on. With any luck we won't have to deal with Romy or those of his ilk. Again, welcome aboard.

Re: A heretical tip from a heretic. [message #16418 is a reply to message #16406] Wed, 28 April 2004 03:37 Go to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Ron

Not yet, but I will be doing it. I'll be posting results on this forum when it does get done, but it may not be for a month.

Cheers
Adrian

Previous Topic: seriers crossovers
Next Topic: Guess what kind of speakers I built this week?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 22:37:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio