Home » Audio » Speaker » Piezo tweeters, crossovers, transformers, etc.
Piezo tweeters, crossovers, transformers, etc. [message #16400] Fri, 16 April 2004 13:24 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Here's a good reference link on CTS (Motorola) piezoelectric tweeters. It talks a little bit about their history, early and modern applications, capabilities, use with transformers, crossovers, etc.

Re: Piezo tweeters, crossovers, transformers, etc. [message #16404 is a reply to message #16400] Sun, 18 April 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Wayne,

Great summary article. Good background and lots of application information. Thanks! The article mentions piezo drivers that are usable down to 800 Hz. I have seen them listed in the PE catalog, but had never taken them seriously. Seems like they might be worth looking into. I am sure they won't replace the compression drivers by JBL, Eminance, etc.in many applications, but they could be useful in a home setting. Do you have any experience with these?

Regards,

Bob

Re: Piezo tweeters, crossovers, transformers, etc. [message #16405 is a reply to message #16404] Sun, 18 April 2004 21:58 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Not extensive. Paul Coats was really into the large format piezo's, so I checked 'em out. They aren't as smooth as a dynamic compression driver, but they sure ain't bad for the bucks for guys doing weekend warrior band work. Paul is quite a sax musician, and a smart guy with a trained ear. He loves 'em. So I'd say that as a musical instrument speaker, they're probably a pretty good deal.

Previous Topic: First-order tweeter crossovers
Next Topic: Linus or Bessel? And wassup with these crossover numbers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 06:30:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio