Home » Audio » Speaker » Questions on Midrange Drivers
Re: Questions on Midrange Drivers [message #16378 is a reply to message #16374] Tue, 13 April 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks for the detailed explaination, Adrian.

At this time, I'm at the "research" stage for a 3-way and yes, I am considering using the Alpha 6 as a direct radiator. I'm looking for a midrange that'll take me from 100Hz up to 3KHz to 4KHz. The reponse graph of the Alpha looks great and I was wondering how it would sound. According to the graph, it's putting out close to 100dB with 1 watt, so I never even considered horn loading it.

In terms of "sound", I interested to know how smooth it is pass the 1.5 KHz mark, whether it breaks up into a cardboardy sound. I noticed that the Alpha 10 in my 2 PI Towers sound a lot better after I crossed it at 1.6KHz with a PSD2002, rather than let it run into 4KHz.

About power handling, I've noticed that within a product line, the smaller drivers tend to have 3 - 6 more dB's in sensitivity than the larger driver. Same SPL at 50% or 25% of the power required for the larger drivers, meaning power handling becomes less of an issue.

Like I said, just research for now, so there'll be more questions to come.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Need Help understanding Fostex Line.
Next Topic: lothx, cain or king?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 03 16:13:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout