Home » Audio » Speaker » High Efficiency and Amplification Explained
High Efficiency and Amplification Explained [message #16253] Sun, 28 March 2004 08:40 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Very technical.

Re: High Efficiency and Amplification Explained [message #16254 is a reply to message #16253] Sun, 28 March 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
This post was very instructive, but contained an error, perhaps a typo or senior moment (I have those!).

It says that a transformer makes electrons swifter, and this is not quite correct.

Actually, the electrons are not "larger" in high powered amps as the article states. The correct term is that the electrons have "more mass," as the high powered amps lift them to relativistic speeds that the tubes cannot do. The transformer actually slows them down to non-relativistic speeds, therefore making them have less mass. The high speeds of the high powered electrons will rip a high efficiency speaker to shreds. I am sure that many of you tubeheads changed to tubes after destroying an expensive horn that way.

BTW, donotbelieveanyofthisbullasitismeantinjestofcourse.

Re: High Efficiency and Amplification Explained [message #16255 is a reply to message #16253] Sun, 28 March 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

However... [message #16256 is a reply to message #16253] Mon, 29 March 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
The author failed to address the fact that as the electrons get swifter and continue to travel at the near speed of light, time slows down for them and they age much slower than the obese electrons. This is commonly refered to as a 'phase shift' and is usually addressed by a decelerating crossover configuration. This is a complicated engineering feat (as we all know - higher frequency electrons are much more excited and travel faster than the low frequency electrons) and should only be handled by the professionals.

Although the use of A Bybee filter should replace the need for logic in the above example.

I thrive on this type of intelligent discourse...

I wonder how fast Einstein would spin in his grave... [message #16257 is a reply to message #16253] Mon, 29 March 2004 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
if only he could read that piffle. Where do people come up with this crap? There's a far higher degree of technical accuracy in the average 'Star Trek' script, and I mean the original 1967 versions.

Re: I wonder how fast Einstein would spin in his grave... [message #16258 is a reply to message #16257] Mon, 29 March 2004 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You do realize it's a joke, right?

Re: I wonder how fast Einstein would spin in his grave... [message #16259 is a reply to message #16258] Mon, 29 March 2004 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
On your part, of course. But show that link to the Cables or Tweaks sections at the Asylum and I guarantee a goodly portion of them would not only not see it as a joke, they'd treat it as Gospel. It certainly makes about as much sense as at least half of what I see in the Cables forum. But I guess that's why they call it an asylum, right?

Re: However... [message #16260 is a reply to message #16256] Tue, 30 March 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, yeah! It's the tachyon factor! I think you're on to something!

Re: High Efficiency and Amplification Explained [message #16261 is a reply to message #16254] Tue, 30 March 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I don't know, Dean. I mean, transformers might actually do something omnicosmic.

So Bill.... [message #16262 is a reply to message #16257] Tue, 30 March 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
I think you are on to something - The Star Trek wiring plan. Instead of speaker wire or the instability of using radio transmission for our speakers we could establish an electron transporter. Each electron would be captured and with a transporter at the source and one at the speaker we could move the electron without the fear of interference (unless we were in the midst of a deep space plasma storm - however, only Vulcans can survive in that environment).

Live Long and Prosper

Previous Topic: speaker positioning
Next Topic: Xmax,Xbl2,Distortion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 23:44:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers