Home » Audio » Speaker » The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub.
The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub. [message #16224] Sun, 14 March 2004 08:21 Go to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Just want to let everyone not a subscriber to AudioXpress magazine know that the current (April 2004) issue contains plans for my latest design, a 24" cubed folded horn sub suitable for both pro sound and HT.

Re: The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub. [message #16225 is a reply to message #16224] Sun, 14 March 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanR is currently offline  DanR
Baron
Can I download plans on the internet or get them directly from you? What woofers does it use?

One of my techs tells me that we need woofers with a Faraday ring for best sound. He says the harmonics from deep bass are in the midbass and that's where the horn is most efficient. That's one reason why there is bass bloat I hear from some horn speakers. I'm also told we have to use enough horns for the room to make mouth size right, so we'll make sure to do that too. We need the efficiency but don't want the bloat, so I want to use a good woofer. What do you think?

Re: The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub. [message #16227 is a reply to message #16225] Sun, 14 March 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The plans are available only in AudioXPress magazine at this point. I do have the right to sell them outright but I generally won't do so until at least 6 months after publication; since the magazine has been kind enough to go to the expense of publishing my work they deserve the opportunity to recoup on their investment before the plans are made available from another source.

This box is designed to use a ten inch woofer. The prototype uses an Eminence Beta 10, which is quite inexpensive, though many other woofers will also work. It is intended for maximum SPL and extension from the smallest box size and least amount of input power possible, so drivers of better than 200 watts capability are neither required nor necessarily desired.

Your technician is correct- most bass energy is contained in the 2nd harmonic band between 60 and 100 Hz, not in the fundamental range an octave down from that.

The overall mouth size of a horn array affects SPL more than it does the low frequency limit of the array. The low frequency limit is primarily affected by horn length, so achieving a particular Fc at a particular SPL is dependant on both mouth size and path length, not by mouth size alone.

Re: The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub. [message #16228 is a reply to message #16224] Sun, 14 March 2004 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator
Please read the rules concerning product promotions. You probably weren't aware of these, so we would like to point them out now. AudioRoundTable.com appreciates your comments, but if you are selling plans and magazine subscriptions it must be done in the Swap Meet forum or a sponsored forum. Please don't be offended. You may discuss general audio topics in any forum, but you may not discuss one of your products for sale unless a specific inquiry about them is made. Thanks.

Re: The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub. [message #16229 is a reply to message #16227] Sun, 14 March 2004 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
What is the best woofer you would use in this horn? Also can you describe its general layout to give some idea? Size is obviously important but my main focus is sound volume and quality down deep.

Re: The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub. [message #16230 is a reply to message #16228] Sun, 14 March 2004 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Sorry for any confusion. I'm not selling either plans or subscriptions. While I am a contributor to audioXpress magazine, I am not an employee, nor do I benefit in any way from any sales of audioXpress magazine either by the single issue or subscription. My only intent was to point out the availability of plans that may be of interest and the source from which they may be obtained. Thank you.

Re: The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub. [message #16231 is a reply to message #16229] Sun, 14 March 2004 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
There are at least a dozen drivers that will work well in this box. However, if what you're interested in is primarily gross SPL and maximum low frequency extension it is probably not what you're looking for. Tuba 24 delivers horn performance to 32 Hz in a compact package, and is more efficient than other cabinets of equal size and more, but it is not the loudest and lowest box out there. It is the loudest and lowest 8 cu.ft. box out there that I'm aware of.

MASSIVE HORNSUB [message #16233 is a reply to message #16231] Mon, 15 March 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Bill, please see my hornsub note in the prospeakers section.

Re: The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub. [message #16236 is a reply to message #16227] Tue, 16 March 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bill,

I will be looking forward to the new _audioXpress_ to see your latest plan.

Years ago when I first picked up a Speakerbuilder mag., it was
the intricacy of your designs that drew me into the hobby from
previously just assembling kits.

I'm a bit surprised that Audioroundtable was not familiar with
your relationship to the magazine.

lon@athenet.net

thanks for bringing the news of the new project in here.

Re: The Tuba 24 Compact Folded Horn Sub. [message #16237 is a reply to message #16236] Tue, 16 March 2004 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Grand Master
Thanks for the kudos. I have no hard feelings over the webmaster's comment; irrespective of who I am he has an obligation to keep trollers out of here, so he was doing the job he's supposed to do. Better that than to have him asleep at the wheel.

Previous Topic: fostex 206's
Next Topic: listening to 206's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 01:24:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout