Home » Audio » Speaker » Woofer tear-what to do
Woofer tear-what to do [message #16073] Mon, 26 January 2004 06:02 Go to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hello i was planning on using this DD2012 on a basshorn,but i know the high pressure at horn throat will not appreciate the tear in the cone.

First thoughts-
silicon sealant
some sort of solvent..

What can be done?

Cheers!

Re: Woofer tear-what to do [message #16074 is a reply to message #16073] Mon, 26 January 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Damn!

That's a shame!

Obviously, the best option would be to recone it. But if that's not an option for you, I've had good luck using white glue. I usually limit these kinds of repairs to speakers that will be used for less critical listening. But it actually works pretty well.

Just put a bead of white glue on your finger and dip your finger in a glass of water. Rub the bead and water together between a couple of fingers top mix it into a thinner consistency. Then apply it along the tear, working it into the fibers. Don't make the paper cone too wet because it can shrink and warp when it dries. But make the consistency of the white glue thin enough it is easily absorbed into the paper surrounding the tear.

Bring the edges together as perfectly as possible. If the repair requires a lot of glue, you might put some on the opposing diameter to balance the weight. A thin film doesn't weigh much when dry, but to achieve near balance would still probably be a good idea. The motor provides force in the center, so an imbalanced weight load would cause a slight torque moment.

Re: Woofer tear-what to do [message #16075 is a reply to message #16074] Mon, 26 January 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
so is that PVA wood glue? or something else/

yes i did consider the imbalance also.

I have mailed the guy to ask him if its okay to do this

Cheers!

Re: Woofer tear-what to do [message #16076 is a reply to message #16075] Mon, 26 January 2004 08:19 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, the "white glue" I'm talking about is wood glue.

Previous Topic: speakers in bathroom
Next Topic: 18" Subwoofer Horn - Opinions wanted!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 18:35:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio