Home » Audio » Speaker » Does sensitivity MEAN coloration?
Re: Does sensitivity MEAN coloration? [message #16038 is a reply to message #16036] Thu, 15 January 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanx Wayne!
Your explanation makes sense. So I am not really sure why Atkinson would say (and i suspect it's a
widely held belief) that sensitive speakers are somehow LESS neutral (or more colored).

One possibility is that he was talking about the EXECUTION of poor designs, and that it may be harder to implement a sensitive speaker design well, rather than something intrinsic in the nature of sensitive speakers.

I guess the motivation for me asking this is to understand if a mongo power amp-less sensitive speaker setup is intrinsically BETTER than a sensitive speaker-2 watt SET setup.

ALl the less sensitive speakers I have heard sound dead to me, but that could be because they are being driven by poor solid state amps. I am not sure. ALso, there seems to be a new rediscovery of sensitive speakers in the pages of stereophile, etc, where a 91 DB speaker is called "sensitive" nowadays, and the 2-3 db gainns over the average sensitivity (which I suppose is 88 db) are much touted.

Thanx everyone for shedding more light on this.
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: You can boil'm, fry'm, broil'm, gumbo'm, saute'm........
Next Topic: Dried Bug in My Horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 29 14:26:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout