Home » Audio » Speaker » Does sensitivity MEAN coloration?
But so what if there's colouration? [message #16025 is a reply to message #16021] Wed, 14 January 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
In the price range that we mere mortals are allowed to operate, you're not going to find a speaker/amp combo that'll excel at everything. Compromise is a fact of life. The real issue is, knowing what's important to you, how much of it you can get, how prominent the shortfalls are, and if you can deal with them.

It's true that a lot of low and mid-priced high efficency speakers provide high sensitivity at the expense of a neutral tone. But I would never consider colouration to automatically be a bad thing. True, accurate reproduction is an honourable pursuit, but in the end, it should all be about musical enjoyment. And let's face it, sometimes, colouration sounds good. "Classic tube" sound, anyone?

The 2Pi Towers that I built this Fall are coloured. (There, I said it) But the colouration can easily be acclimatized (after a couple of songs, if you don't pay attention to it, you won't notice it) and in no way is it considered offensive. And while there's no doubt that the speakers would sound better without the colouration, they make up for this shortfall by delivering a lively, dynamic, detailed and engaging presentation with a healthy serving of good quality bass. These speakers will put a live concert in your living room. For me, having to live with the colour is a small price to pay for these other qualities.

Again, it's all about what's important to you. But don't neglect the music for sound.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: You can boil'm, fry'm, broil'm, gumbo'm, saute'm........
Next Topic: Dried Bug in My Horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 29 14:26:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout