Home » Audio » Speaker » Open Baffle Bass - Why Not ?
Re: Open Baffle Bass - Why Not ? [message #16005 is a reply to message #15987] Fri, 09 January 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
I admit that even after following this thread and the links, it seems counter-intuitive that you could get low AND powerful bass from the little H-boxes or similar dipoles due to cancellation. Guess I'll have to surf some more and maybe try one. For sure having a major null at 90 deg would be wonderful for DJ use where the speakers are often at either end of an 8' table.
That Meyers rig looks very interesting, anybody know how the rear woofers can be both additive and produce a 25db null behind the enclosure?

John

Directivity and bass cabs [message #16007 is a reply to message #16005] Fri, 09 January 2004 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This subject is more complex than i thought!

i found this link

also
labhorns exhibit approx 6db increase in SPL infront of the array,when stacked with enough cabs

Cheers!

Cardioid subwoofer [message #16017 is a reply to message #16007] Mon, 12 January 2004 06:09 Go to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Augsperger's cardioid looks very much like what Meyer is doing. A second driver 34" behind the first, inverted and delayed, produces the rear null. Within the cabinet, the rear driver might be assisting the front driver like a push-pull in spite of the delay.

Would a U-shaped baffle with the leg length chosen for 1/4 wavelength also exhibit a cardioid pattern or at least a dipole pattern with reduced rear projection?

In any case, it looks like progressive cancellation at low frequencies is going to nix the use of open-baffle types for DJ use where weight and bulk are important considerations. I might try some in my sunroom where room modes are a problem and high SPL not necessary.

John

Previous Topic: Updated my horns page..
Next Topic: New Speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 21:59:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers