Home » Audio » Speaker » New Speaker
New Speaker [message #16003] Thu, 08 January 2004 23:02 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The "cut sheet" on this speaker says everything I have found to be true about modern loudspeakers, so I guess that's why I think it's worth reading.

Might be of interest to people who measure their financial resources by the wheelbarrow.

I like the approach! [message #16006 is a reply to message #16003] Fri, 09 January 2004 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Interesting.

when companys start 'back in the day ,when audiophiles had 10watts.' you know its gona be 'one of those pdfs' ;-)

the efficient approach is a different one-i like it

Class A :-)

But it seems like the main idea was 'nice sound' not necessarily low distortion.

Having only two stages, these amplifiers embody the audiophile quest for the most realistic sound through minimalism and purity of signal path. Single-ended Class A amplifiers have what is known as a monotonic character; they continue to improve as the power level goes down.

thats debatable.but a shorter signal path can be good.

I do agree for sure,at low power much more better.

The high mass of the cone results in slow attack and decay response to impulses from the amplifier, but this has been considered an acceptable trade off.

This just means the speaker has a lower top end usable frequency limit.

It will appeal to many retro audiophiles that like the classic gear :-D

il stick to my 1600$ all horn system plans :-)

Cheers!
mike.e

Re: New Speaker [message #16012 is a reply to message #16003] Sat, 10 January 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Robinson is currently offline  Jeff Robinson
Chancellor

There are some obvious mistakes:
"The filter characteristics for each driver are determined in passive filter networks prior to each of the four amplifier inputs per speaker....For best transient and phase response, the mid-bass and mid-range band-pass filters are single-pole types, while the bass driver sees a 2 pole low pass filter at 22 Hz and the ribbon tweeter is crossed with 2 poles at 8 KHz. None of these filters uses feedback, positive or negative."
22Hz Low pass?????????? Does this mean the 98dB/W@1M 10" goes down to 22Hz? I don't think so, Tim! (220Hz seems more likely a choice for X-over freq. from a 15 {2P} to a 10 {1P}.)
Feedback in a passive filter?????????? NOT POSSIBLE!
Other than these quibbles it's an interesting read with minimized marketing hype.

Re: New Speaker [message #16020 is a reply to message #16003] Tue, 13 January 2004 08:05 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
YEah, it's amazing how these people seem to "rediscover" what can be had fairly inexpensively in the used vintage market, and charge HUGE dollars for it by creating some fancy cabinet.
He he. It's amazing when these "audiophilic" companies suddenly rediscover sensitivity.

Previous Topic: Open Baffle Bass - Why Not ?
Next Topic: I did it ! What did I do???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 14:17:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout