Home » Audio » Speaker » The Horn (from the Horn Shoppe)
The Horn (from the Horn Shoppe) [message #15810] Wed, 10 December 2003 11:28 Go to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Wow, I see a lot of people like the Fostex speakers and for good reason - they simply sound good. I've seen quite a disparity of opinions on Ed's horn speaker and was wondering if I could get some opinions on these speakers for use with Moondog 2A3's. The efficiency rating isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but maybe could be offset with the high impedance.

Re: The Horn (from the Horn Shoppe) [message #15845 is a reply to message #15810] Mon, 15 December 2003 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
I've heard The Horns with a 2A3 based Fi X amp and a 1.8 wpc Decware Select. Either played loud enough for most of us in a 3,600 cu. ft. room (a made over 2 car garage).

Most seriously listen around 80 dB. Note that extended exposure to more than 85 dB will result in permanent hearing loss. If you're not sure how loud is loud get a hold of a sound pressure level meter.

Note that this driver is only rated to handle 24 watts anyway. With 2 wpc you can typically expect 93 dB from The Horn and 103 dB from 24 watts.

Re: The Horn (from the Horn Shoppe) [message #15847 is a reply to message #15845] Mon, 15 December 2003 20:47 Go to previous message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Hey, thanks for info. I know what 80 db sounds like and if sustained, it can seem very loud; I don't listen to 'loud' music but I do like the micro / macro dynamics you get with horn speakers, especially while listening to classic music.

Previous Topic: Has anyone heard the zhorns?(nt)
Next Topic: Has anyone listened to a Z horn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 06 20:38:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio