Home » Audio » Speaker » dummy impedance/power load to replace speaker being repaired?
dummy impedance/power load to replace speaker being repaired? [message #15705] Mon, 28 July 2008 20:35 Go to next message
doobya is currently offline  doobya
Esquire
Hi,

The woofer on one of my 3-way speakers just died, so I disconnected it and sent it in for repair.

Meanwhile I set my amp balance 100% to the other channel and thus don't have stereo sound anymore.

I am wondering if I can attach some kind of impedance load to the disconnected woofer cables, and hook that speaker up again. The idea is I will get somewhat stereo sound through the tweeter and medium while my woofer is in repair.

My assumption is that the low-pass filter isn't designed to run without load on the output, and I don't want to damage it.

The woofer is 8 ohms in impedance and 80W nominal power.

tech specs: http://www.forumcabasse.org/wiki/30BZ18

Thanks for any pointers!

Re: dummy impedance/power load to replace speaker being repaired? [message #15706 is a reply to message #15705] Tue, 29 July 2008 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This is a a good part for substituting as a test/dummy load. It also works great for Zobels.

Re: dummy impedance/power load to replace speaker being repaired? [message #15707 is a reply to message #15706] Tue, 29 July 2008 12:41 Go to previous message
doobya is currently offline  doobya
Esquire
thanks!

Previous Topic: Electro-voice 30 inch woofer
Next Topic: Pro's and con's of adding a super tweeter to HF horn section?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 18:54:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio