Home » Audio » Speaker » What will dampen the sound on in-wall speakers?
What will dampen the sound on in-wall speakers? [message #15461] Mon, 19 February 2007 19:02 Go to next message
NewGuyATL is currently offline  NewGuyATL
Esquire
I've installed Polk RC 85i's into the shared wall of my townhome, but didn't realize how much my neighbors were going to hear the sounds from the woofer. (Even at moderate volume levels.)

Is there a foam, or backing that I can slide back there to deflect the sound? There's only about an inch or two of space between the magnet and the firewall.

Re: What will dampen the sound on in-wall speakers? [message #15462 is a reply to message #15461] Tue, 20 February 2007 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There is very little you can do. The midrange frequencies can be reduced with insulation but that isn't going to do much to attenuate bass.

Re: What will dampen the sound on in-wall speakers? [message #15463 is a reply to message #15462] Tue, 20 February 2007 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NewGuyATL is currently offline  NewGuyATL
Esquire
What about an actual enclosure? If a floorstanding speaker can eliminate sound coming out of the back of it, (if it's not ported in the back) shouldn't the same be true in-wall?

Re: What will dampen the sound on in-wall speakers? [message #15464 is a reply to message #15463] Tue, 20 February 2007 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That will help. I thought you had already enclosed the speakers and the problem persisted.

Make the cabinet as large as you reasonably can and fill it with insulation. The speakers are undoubtedly designed for installation on an infinite baffle which means they have relatively high Q. To put them in a small box would caused a large midbass peak and substantially reduce deep bass.

Re: What will dampen the sound on in-wall speakers? [message #15547 is a reply to message #15464] Fri, 03 August 2007 23:41 Go to previous message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
If you were free to use different speakers, I would highly recommend the Altec/Western Electric 755 or 755A. These are designed for a box little bigger than the speaker itself and should fit easily, with box, in your walls. They will give you everything but deep bass which you should get from a larger subwoofer anyhow. Boxed or not I guarantee you will like the sound. What does my guarantee mean? It means that I will gladly take them off your hands at a price I can afford....which, to be honest is not much. The 755 is the speaker that, along with its air-spring bass woofer, revolutionized audio in the mid '50's in the AR -1 bookshelf speaker system.
Dick

Previous Topic: subwoofer project suggestions
Next Topic: GR Research
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 18:25:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers