Home » Audio » Speaker » EV Eighteens
EV Eighteens [message #15415] Tue, 07 November 2006 17:55 Go to next message
Burl is currently offline  Burl
Esquire
I picked up a set of Electro Voice Eighteens at a flea market. The woofer surrounds are toast, but everything else is good, and they sound like a nice set of speakets, even though the woofers are bad. Are they worth restoring? Should they be fixed with a normal repair kit, such as one from Parts Express, etc., or should I contact EV for their help? Thanks to all who reply.

Re: EV Eighteens [message #15416 is a reply to message #15415] Wed, 08 November 2006 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If it's just the surrounds, you can replace them with foam surrounds pretty easily. I expect the stock surround is accordian, so if that concerns you, you might have them fully reconed instead.

Re: EV Eighteens [message #15417 is a reply to message #15415] Wed, 08 November 2006 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Depends on what your going to use them for, if there for PA, musical insturment or if you listen to your music at high volumes I'd get them re-done with the EV surrounds, there inpregnated cloth accordian surrounds. If you're using low power or just for normal stereo listening you can maybe use the foam ones like Wayne suggested. But then your T/S parameters won't match what EV spec'ed them at. Another thing to do is check around at your local recone shop.
HTH
Bill W.

Re: EV Eighteens [message #15422 is a reply to message #15415] Mon, 04 December 2006 10:51 Go to previous message
mhardy6647 is currently offline  mhardy6647
Esquire

Closest match on the EV archives for a datasheet I saw was the EV Sixteen, which I believe is very similar: http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/

I don't think these were anything special. I think they were quite similar to the EV "ETR" series of home speakers hawked by Warehouse sound in the 1970's. Nothing like vintage EV drivers or cabinets.

You can see the EV ETR-18 at:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/mhardy6647/scan.jpg
(you may see it above?)

Previous Topic: Jensen Imperial find
Next Topic: Jensen PM15A
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 13:20:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio