Home » Audio » Speaker » Any Opinions About This Driver?
Any Opinions About This Driver? [message #15394] Sat, 30 September 2006 14:38 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Seems like a good price for a driver that would work well in a large bass reflex enclosure. Diecast alum basket, copper shorting ring, etc. It's obviously based on this driver but with a slightly different Qms/Qts
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=290-579

OK, A More Specific Question [message #15395 is a reply to message #15394] Sun, 01 October 2006 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This driver is used in a project that's featured in the most recent Parts Express flyer. It does bass duty in a 5.5 cu ft box. The box in the project is tuned to 30hz, which seems low. The midrange is a Hammer 8 (which is a Beta 8 made by Eminence for a pro sound manufacturer). The Hammer 8 crosses over to a very inexpensive Eminence compression driver/waveguide that seems to be the weak link of the project.

Any opinions about this project using the Hammer 18, the Eminence Beta 8 (I already have a pair), and Eminence PSD2002 compression drivers with the H290 horns (which I also already have). I would tune the enclosure to about 40hz and cross the midrange to the tweeter at 1,600hz. So for the $300 price of two Hammer 18 drivers plus crossover parts & MDF I could build three way speakers with high quality 18" woofers. Very tempting, but are there any opinions about whether this would sound good?

See pages 16 and 17 in the link below for the project plans.

Re: OK, A More Specific Question [message #15396 is a reply to message #15395] Mon, 02 October 2006 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds to me like a very good project. I think it would sound great.

Re: Any Opinions About This Driver? [message #15403 is a reply to message #15394] Sat, 14 October 2006 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Fred,
Looks like a good idea. I personally (for home listening) like better extension than 40 Hz...at least 30 Hz. My Khorns are barely sufficient for me (My guess is they go down to about 40 Hz).

For 30 Hz, you would need a really large box for this one. It looks like a good driver for pro apps, obviously. I would question it;s performance for home use, at 40 hz up. Too much SPL and too little extension for home use, IMHO. But if you are less bass sensitive than me then it'll probably sound pretty clean.
Let us know how it pans out.
-akhilesh

Re: Any Opinions About This Driver? [message #15405 is a reply to message #15403] Sat, 14 October 2006 18:39 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks, Akhilesh. I agree it's definitely not a subwoofer, but for this project I'm not looking for a speaker with 32hz capability. With a 6' box I expect an F3 of about 39hz, which is about as low as it needs to go for 99% of the music I'll be playing on it.

Previous Topic: Fun with Vintage Speakers
Next Topic: Let's try this again - A Very Cool Speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 02:50:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout