Home » Audio » Speaker » Wharfedale D-60E
Wharfedale D-60E [message #15274] Fri, 23 June 2006 08:42 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I picked up a pair the other day and after dusting them off and adding a generous coat of Lemon Oil they look presentable. They still need refinishing someday but at least for now they don't look so bedraggled. I need to find a badge as one is missing.

When I listened to them I noticed they have a real good midrange and that's all. I'm quite sure that my impression is colored by having listened to my speakers for so long. I doubt I would be a very objective reviewer They are the first 3 way system I've ever owned and the odd thing is compared to KLH 17's these have a West Coast sound which is odd because they're both acoustic suspension Like I say maybe it's me.

The tweeters have some sort of plastic ball I presume is to diffuse the sound radially? Anyway, they must be crossed over pretty high as they don't add much.

If anyone owned a pair when they were new I'd be interested in your take on them. These are quite pleasant to listen to. Not harsh or overwhelming.

I also was wondering if the rubber surrounds have hardened and that's why the lack of bass? I would have thought there would be more pronounced bass with these. Anyway, that's about all I know about them so far

Re: Wharfedale D-60E [message #15275 is a reply to message #15274] Sat, 24 June 2006 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say MWG; I had a pair I picked up at Salvation Army. Except mine have cloth surrounds. Are your drivers Alnico? Maybe the surrounds were replaced at some point? Anyway those plastic tweeters don't sound so great but the 8" mids and the 12" woof are excellent sounding; very smooth and musical. I use them in an open baffle and I have a T35 Electrovioce tweeter on top. Are yours in a large vented box with a long vent tube?

Re: Wharfedale D-60E [message #15276 is a reply to message #15275] Sat, 24 June 2006 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I don't know what the drivers are as they are in a sealed acoustic suspension type box. I have to pull the drivers out the front to see what they are. Which I'll do when I decide to replace the crossover caps.

The tweeters I'm told are supposed to be decent. Once you get used to the sound they are fine. Mine also have sand in them to stiffle resonance.

I think one reason I notice such a difference in sound is going from the Altecs to these you lose a lot of presence that the horns provide so it takes some time for your mind to accept that what your ears hear is good; just different Maybe someone better versed can explain it better.

Re: Wharfedale D-60E [message #15277 is a reply to message #15276] Sat, 24 June 2006 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I see; maybe I am thinking of something else. Mine came in a ported box. Inside there was Three drivers; two oil caps and a couple coils as crossovers. The drivers had cloth surrounds and alnico mags. I agree with the smooth sound assesment. Very British sounding. It's hard not to like all those speakers from that era across the pond; Spendor/Rogers/B&W/Hartley etc. I still don't think that sound has been significantly bettered in all ways by anything in the current list. They definately have that musicality in spades. Funny but I can compare mine to my Altecs also; but we know the Altecs have a lot of energy in the upper mids from the 811/806, even though they roll off pretty quickly.
Switching the Valencias into the new carpeted and bigger room with 10 ft ceilings has really made a huge difference in how the Altecs present. I know now they really need a lot of room to sing.
I have to wonder why such different designs sound so right to me. Curious.

Re: Wharfedale D-60E [message #15278 is a reply to message #15277] Sat, 24 June 2006 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I have a theory about what you describe. Mind you it's just my own take on it and probably not ascribed to by many I read several audio forums and when you take note of various threads about sound it appears the most vocal and passionate folks are in the sound is everything camp. I think most of the people who are in the good sounding music is more important camp don't spend as much time or money pushing their point of view.

I even find myself wanting a piece of vintage gear just because Not that it is the best but simply because it appeals to me in some way. Like now I have this thing that I want to find a Yamaha M-80 or M-85 amp. The M-50 I have sounds great and that's what triggered it I suppose

Re: Wharfedale D-60E [message #15279 is a reply to message #15278] Sun, 25 June 2006 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats good stuff MWG; it is so true that sometimes we just want what we want and who cares why. I have three tube integrateds I bought recently just to have, not for any other reason; I just coveted them. It's a human thing.
I wonder how many people feel the same way but need to justify that impulse by creating in their minds some "sounds good" rationale.
But in defense of the Wharfedales; hey, they do sound darned good.

Re: Wharfedale D-60E [message #15280 is a reply to message #15279] Sun, 25 June 2006 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
It took me awhile to get past being concerned about what others think of me or my hobbies. I just try not to be deliberately offensive unless provoked or unshowered

I think the 60's are keepers so I'll have to replace the missing wood strip on the grill and refinish them. My biggest ptoblem is getting rid of anything once I buy it. If I would sell my old Mac stuff I could upgrade to a newer preamp. I just can't seem to get rid of something I've had over 30 years and stills sounds great.

There is a current thread about recapping W-70's on AK I've been following so maybe I'll nut up and do that too

I do wish we all lived closer so we could share our thoughts & music in person. Where I live there isn't much interest in audio.

I'll bet the Vals sound wonderful in a large room. I had mine in a fairly large room once and stuck in a corner they sounded like K-Horns on steroids I used a center channel speaker in the 70's where you took power from the hot side of left channel and ran the ground to the hot side of the right channel. I guess some folks still do that today?

Re: Wharfedale D-60E [message #15281 is a reply to message #15280] Mon, 26 June 2006 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ha! Thats the old Hafler Hook-up; using a center channel like that. I used to do that with a pair of Bozak's.
Which pre-amp in the Mac series is it again?

Re: Wharfedale D-60E [message #15282 is a reply to message #15281] Mon, 26 June 2006 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
It's a C-26 with a MC-2505 and MX-114 for a tuner. I have a MC-275 I'm saving up to get refurbished also. I'm spoiled by the sound of the 275.

Re: Wharfedale D-60E [message #15283 is a reply to message #15282] Tue, 27 June 2006 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The C-26 is SS?

Previous Topic: ESG1 Can I use it for an array?
Next Topic: Spades for Heresy speaker connections
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 17:14:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout