Home » Audio » Speaker » Ping Retsel: your open baffle speaker?
Ping Retsel: your open baffle speaker? [message #15148] Thu, 05 January 2006 11:03
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Retsel,

Regarding your reply to Akhilesh's Orion post below.

First, I wnat to say that the Orion and Visaton NoBox design has
inspired me to go in the open baffle speaker direction.

You mentioned your open baffle speaker that uses a U frame type midbass set up with Genesis woofers. Which could fill my articulate midbass desire for an open baffle speaker.

I have been trying to track down some quality 20cm midrange drivers and good midbass drivers that will work well in an open baffle speaker design.

But, I am still in the research phase and would like to ask you for some suggestions please?

I have been looking at mainly German 20cm drivers for the midrange region, like Saba, Loewe Opta, Siemens, RFT, Telefunken, ect.
And mainly pro-drivers for the midbass, like Emminece Delta 15LF and other PA drivers.

I have not come up with any clear winner from any of these drivers.

Also, I have not figured out which direction to go for implimenting the midbass either, U frame, open baffle, sealed cabinet, EQ or just in line passive.

I would appreciate any input that will help me find the proper format for an open baffle speaker system?
I have enough tube amplifiers where I could power the midrange and midbass seperately in a four-way speaker to include subwoofers.
I have a pair of sealed push pull subwoofers that I would use for the bottom octaves.

So, I would like to focus on the midbass and up for a open baffle speaker.

If you have time, we can converse here, or you can email me at
(nwwdlw(at)netzero(dot)net).

Thanks for any input.

Norris Wilson

Previous Topic: Need help with array design
Next Topic: Advice please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 03:20:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio