Home » Audio » General » Vacuum Tube Valley magazine
Vacuum Tube Valley magazine [message #1494] Mon, 25 April 2005 06:40 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Just wondering when the next issue is coming out. The last one was published almost a year ago.

Re: Vacuum Tube Valley magazine [message #1495 is a reply to message #1494] Thu, 28 April 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It almost appears as if they don't want to give up their information for free anymore. Seem's to be occurring all over the DIY scene. There must be some big bucks out there now so people are getting skittish. Only a matter of time.
It was better back in the day of little rag-paper pamphlets and the comraderie' of dedicated enthusiast's.
Personally I think tubes will fade as more of the people involved look to make money. When it cost over a grand to build your own tube amp the DIY aspect gets a little shakey. The chip amps are where the action is now. ESP SS amps sound as good or better than the cheaper tube stuff and as long as you use efficient speakers they sound better in many respects. You can build one for under a hundred bucks.

Four year subscription [message #1496 is a reply to message #1495] Thu, 28 April 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Fortunately, when VTV sells a subscription, they sell it as four issues and not as a year's subscription. If it were published quarterly, that would be a years worth but at this rate, it's four years worth. So that's pretty cool. I do like the content and quality of the magazine. I'm just eager to see the next one.

Re: Four year subscription [message #1497 is a reply to message #1496] Thu, 28 April 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have all the back issues. I loved the magazine but how do you explain a year without an issue? I mean a couple missed issues in this field is understandable but one year? It's worse than the Soprano's; their back.. no their gone..wait. Something else beyond prior committment is operating here.
I'd be interested to know what the consenses is about the financial aspect of the DIY thing. Personally I think once you're paying more than what a piece would cost new it is somewhat self-defeating.
Modern times mon'.

Re: Four year subscription [message #1498 is a reply to message #1497] Thu, 28 April 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I haven't talked to Charlie in a couple months, but he's obviously upside down doing other stuff. I dig Vacuum Tube Valley magazine - I don't have a problem with the number of pages, and I certainly appreciate the content but I'd like to see the publishing schedule be more regular. Once a quarter, bi-annually, even annually would be OK as long as I knew what to expect. I guess that's probably it with me, I like things that are pretty reliable and consistent.

I kinda like this online stuff because it is more interactive and you kind of get a feel for where everyone is coming from. I think I prefer internet messageboard comments to magazine product reviews, because online posts are user's comments and that takes advertising bias out of the picture. But most messageboard comments are made off-the-cuff, and that's an entirely different style than what publishers use. I like the depth and weight that a researched article offers, be it historical facts or technical information. Having a tangible, physical magazine you can hold in your hand is nice too, and I hope VTV continues to publish. So many of 'em don't.

Re: Four year subscription [message #1499 is a reply to message #1498] Thu, 28 April 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
How do you have the time to write these messages today? Isn't it GPAS time this weekend? I figure you for running around like a headless chicken.

Re: Four year subscription [message #1500 is a reply to message #1499] Thu, 28 April 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You figured right. In fact, I've been pretty busy all month, what with all the "little stuff" - replying to E-Mail's, receiving exhibitors logos and photos, scaling and converting them for display on the GPAF website, adding them to the website and modifying pages, etc. That in addition to shipping kits and stuff made my April pretty busy. I didn't intend to be the event's organizer, and it really has just run itself. But someone has to be a point man, and I guess that man was me.

This last ten days or so were a mad dash and I was working from the time I awoke until I fell asleep, maybe 16 hours later. I don't relish working that way, 7 days a week. But I think it was worth it 'cause I think this will be a fun little show. I think this first year will be a nice time and the start of a great annual event, where everyone is invited and there are no axes to grind or fees to pay. It's got a great feel and I'm very pleased. Kicks off tomorrow!

Re: Four year subscription [message #1501 is a reply to message #1500] Thu, 28 April 2005 12:18 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Looks like a great show; all the best to you and the rest of the participants.

Previous Topic: Anyone had chance to listen pair of these...?
Next Topic: This is extraordinarily cool
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 18:54:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout