Home » Audio » Speaker » Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers
Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers [message #14600] Wed, 26 May 2004 03:48 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Anyone heard of these? Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5701781164&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

They are apparntly meant to be good - dont know much about them though. Has anyone used or know anything about them?

Re: Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers [message #14601 is a reply to message #14600] Wed, 26 May 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, I've seen 'em discussed, but not often. To be honest, I don't think much of the person I saw discussing them the most; He's a quack that radically changes his mind about what sounds best every other week and each time he's emphatic that his new thing is "the best." But that doesn't really mean anything; They may be a fine product.

Re: Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers [message #14602 is a reply to message #14600] Wed, 26 May 2004 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I have not listened myself, but I know some one who is now listening to horns instead of the Heil's he had. Replay has probubly heard Heils before. You could write to him if you have time.

Bill

Re: Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers [message #14604 is a reply to message #14600] Thu, 27 May 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
My buddy has a pair in the basement. He was using them up until the foam surrounds on the woofers rotted. The highs are nice and airy but do not integrate well with the woofers and the mids collapse and sound very dark and recessed. They are difficult to drive also. Typical 70's heavy woofer syndrome. Underdamped like Cerwin-Vega's. They are not cheap to rebuild and there are better alternatives to the Heil Transformer.

Re: Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers [message #14663 is a reply to message #14604] Sat, 07 August 2004 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paul jeremias is currently offline  paul jeremias
Esquire
what makes them difficult to drive? what does it mean that the mids collapse and sound recessed? at what frequencies? could this change if that crossover at a different frequency? what are the better alternatives to the Heils?

Re: Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers [message #14688 is a reply to message #14600] Sat, 14 August 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BubbaJon is currently offline  BubbaJon
Esquire
The Heil AMT's sound terrific. Some people prefer horns or ribbons - personal preferences or availability is the reason I guess. The AMT's are very smooth and they extend down into the mids (like 700 Hz!) making them a good mid/high component and no cabinet concerns since they do not mount inside. It is a concern that you'll have about a 20 lb magnet structure sitting on top. My ESS AMT 1A's are a bear to move around and try to get away from me because they are top-heavy.
The really nice thing is the AMT's seem immune to mass concerns and deliver astonishing presence and detail due to their instantaneous response. You hear detail in vocals and instruments that you simply didn't hear before. Hi-Hats and riders simply sizzle. Personally I think if you can find a pair of the "big" AMT's for $300 or so it would be worth trying if your system is lacking. A comparable ribbon would cost you more, and to my ear horns have a brash and limited sound.
Regards, BubbaJon

Re: Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers [message #14868 is a reply to message #14600] Sat, 22 January 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Fontaine is currently offline  Bob Fontaine
Esquire
Hi: I used the large AMT's in a speaker system for about 5 years. They are extremely clear and coherent. I always thought about "horn without the honk". The system was a transmission line using a Dynaudio 9" woofer. In the beginning the system was 2 way but I felt the dispersion of the AMT's was not good enough for a high quality system above about 8000 hz. I incorpraited a dynaudio tweeter in the system. I experimented a lot with xo points and finally settled on 12 db with the AMT bracketed at 750 and 5000. This proved to be a real winner. I parted with these to a friend only when I moved from Florida back to Indiana after my wife passed away. Properly used, the AMT's are absoloutely superb and handle everything from classical to rock with equal ability. Highly recommemnded if you build a system with quality speakers and especially with a transmission line.

Re: Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers [message #14872 is a reply to message #14600] Wed, 02 February 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don Wasley is currently offline  Don Wasley
Esquire
I had a pair of the AMT Monitors back in the 70's and 80's. I moved so much that both speakers got destroyed eventually and that really broke me up!! The sounds especially mid-range and highs were AWESOME! I listen primarilly to classical music specifically alot of pipe organ stuff and man those speakers would take just about all that power amp would put out (incidentally the manufacturer was also ESS on that amp w/ 600 watts output, but that's another story)! If you can't buy a new set ($$) I recommend that you try to find a used pair on EBay or somewhere. There worth the money new or used!! Any your ears WON'T be disappointed!!

Re: Heil Air Motion Transformer speakers [message #14873 is a reply to message #14604] Fri, 04 February 2005 17:53 Go to previous message
iansw is currently offline  iansw
Esquire
I still have a pair of original ESS AMT1's and they have served me well for many years. The only problems I have had has been with bass unit foam surrounds rotting. The sound quality has been first class even against today's competition. I am at the moment in the need of new bass units due to, you've guested it, rotted foam surrounds, but I am trying to source replacement units or repair. These babies are too good to scrap.

PS I live in England, UK and bought them in 1974!!!

Previous Topic: Tangband Array & Home theater
Next Topic: 9 fostex f200a in line array
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 14:39:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout