Home » Audio » Speaker » Linkwitz's Orion
Linkwitz's Orion [message #14728] Thu, 30 September 2004 20:24 Go to next message
Cal W is currently offline  Cal W
Esquire
Anyone here have Linkwitz's Orion?
How do these baby's sound to you?

Re: Linkwitz's Orion [message #14730 is a reply to message #14728] Sun, 03 October 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That speaker has been available for some time now. Out of all the speaker iterations the concept of open baffle sounds the best to me. Anyone can get a taste of it, just try opening an old pair of speaks, cut down the sides and remove the back. The sound opens up and gets nice and sweet to my ears. Just need to deal with the bass issue.

Re: Linkwitz's Orion Open Baffle [message #14731 is a reply to message #14730] Sun, 03 October 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

My first project was to replace the speaks in an old pair
of Nakamichi desktop 2 ways with Fostex FE127e's, cut out the
back and plug up the port hole.

There is a variation on this called the Bob 3 here...
main difference I can see is that some absorbent material
is used on the baffle. If that rubberized stuff is not
available, PE has some product for damping sound in car
panels like door skins etc.

I think Fitz mentioned this as a way to a line array as well.

Re: Linkwitz's Orion Open Baffle [message #14732 is a reply to message #14731] Sun, 03 October 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a copy of an article in an older Speaker Builder that explains an open baffle system and takes the reader through all the modeling the author does with different PC programs to come up with xover and driver stats for a nice two way. I would imagine that an Array would be the way to go with this.

Re: Linkwitz's Orion Open Baffle [message #14733 is a reply to message #14732] Sun, 03 October 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I think I have that one. '98 or '99?

I am hoping that Ed Dell archives all that stuff for lookup.

Do you remember which one it tells how to build a Cornu style spiral
speaker? I swore i saw that years ago when I didn't know one from
the other and it all looked exotic.

Re: Linkwitz's Orion Open Baffle [message #14734 is a reply to message #14733] Sun, 03 October 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know that one rings a bell. I will get back to you.

Re: Linkwitz's Orion [message #14736 is a reply to message #14728] Sat, 09 October 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have not yet heard one, but given who is backing it, the fact that it's triamped, my guess is it probably sounds pretty close to the best one is going to get.
If I HAD to spend that kinda money, I'd probbaly try that speaker set up first. IF you do hear it, please do tell us!
-akhilesh

Re: Linkwitz's Orion [message #14763 is a reply to message #14728] Mon, 01 November 2004 11:15 Go to previous message
Drew Eckhardt is currently offline  Drew Eckhardt
Esquire

I built a pair.

They just sound _right_. The midrange is completely uncolored, they have the most natural bass of any loudspeaker I've heard in any room, the sweet spot for imaging is huge, and they do a fine job placing sounds along all three axis.

Previous Topic: Tapering--- can someone clue me in on this?
Next Topic: radio shack goodies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 09:25:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout