Home » Audio » Speaker » Modify or remanufacture?
Modify or remanufacture? [message #14674] Wed, 11 August 2004 21:17 Go to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
Let's say you're the ACME speaker company and you already have a driver in a speaker that's close to what you need for a new design. Do you modify what you have or make new? I'm not talking about experiments here, I'm talking about what is best for quality.

I'll offer my opinion to kick it off. I think that I'd make the new driver from scratch. Doping cones and mods like that would require an application/measurement cycle that takes some time to get right. If you start from scratch, you can make everything have the properties you want right off the start, like weight, flux, suspension, etc. I think this is better, more consistent and higher quality.

Re: Modify or remanufacture? [message #14690 is a reply to message #14674] Wed, 18 August 2004 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd prefer to have a new driver made than to dope cones or use other techniques such as those to modify parameters. Then again, if you're a hobbyist and have the time to modify and test, I suppose it's a little like jetting a carburettor. Better to have precise flow tested jets but if you don't have them, some people will use a drill bit and sandpaper. Just don't go too far...

Re: Modify or remanufacture? [message #14691 is a reply to message #14690] Thu, 19 August 2004 14:05 Go to previous message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
Thank you.

Previous Topic: Long throw, Short Throw horns
Next Topic: questions on array wiring and such....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 11:45:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio