Home » Audio » Speaker » Taking a wild guess here about cross-over design
Taking a wild guess here about cross-over design [message #14650] Sat, 31 July 2004 10:31 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Somebody's "eBaying" a pair of ancient crossovers. They incorporate what looks like a standard-base porcelain bulb socket. Probably the same intent as the Eminence crossovers that use a 12V bulb for tweeter protection?

If so, it a pretty interesting object lesson in the evolution of a design concept.

I mean design in the mechanical / lay-out sense [message #14651 is a reply to message #14650] Sat, 31 July 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: I mean design in the mechanical / lay-out sense [message #14652 is a reply to message #14651] Sat, 31 July 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Looks like a power supply.

Any idea why the bulb socket? [message #14653 is a reply to message #14652] Sat, 31 July 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: Any idea why the bulb socket? [message #14654 is a reply to message #14653] Sat, 31 July 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
No, I thought that was kind of weird too. Sometimes when I blow the cobwebs off an old circuit like that, I find things that sort of surprise me. I can't help but wonder "what was that guy thinking?" And that is pretty much what I thought when I saw the light bulb socket.

Practicality rules. [message #14655 is a reply to message #14654] Sat, 31 July 2004 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
It's definetely a power supply, for an ESL, and I'd imagine that the socket is what he used to plug the supply wire to the ESL into. Guess he didn't have any bananna jacks lying about.

Re: Practicality rules. [message #14656 is a reply to message #14655] Sun, 01 August 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You may be right.

Not that I know nuthin' about nuthin', but... [message #14657 is a reply to message #14655] Sun, 01 August 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Not that your hypothesis is impossible, but I find it extraordinarily implausible. This is a commercial product – what could possibly be more inconvenient than a porcelain as a connector for anything other than a light bulb?

I looked up a DIY ESL amplifier design from the same era (1968). In that design the author used light bulbs “to equalize the voltage to the capacitors” in the high voltage section of the output.

After reading that, I remembered that Nelson Pass has an amp design that uses four standard base light bulbs in some sort of regulation scheme.

It may not represent an component of a crossover section as I originally thought it might, but I find it very difficult to believe that it’s intended to terminate the panel leads either.

Re: Not that I know nuthin' about nuthin', but... [message #14658 is a reply to message #14657] Sun, 01 August 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That might be true too. You're right that the socket would be inconvenient as a connector. But it kind of seems like a large device to use as a as a current sensitive resistor and/or fusable link. I would have though a smaller device could have been used instead.

Maybe it is a fuse socket? Remember the large current fuses that were used in house wiring panels before circuit breakers became common? Do you think maybe one of those kind of fuses is used in the socket?

It would be interesting to know.

I'd bet $1 you're right! [message #14659 is a reply to message #14658] Sun, 01 August 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A fuse / fusestat socket makes real sense.

Previous Topic: compression horn tweeter
Next Topic: "Distributed Mode Radiation"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 22:48:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout