Home » Audio » Source » New High End Music Server
New High End Music Server [message #14324] Tue, 25 July 2006 07:00 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Slim Devices has announced the introduction of the "Transporter", a new $2K high end music server. Many of the people who visit this forum have already heard their $350 "Squeezebox". I heard Skip Pack's at the GPAF and ordered one for myself as soon as I got home. The squeezebox sound might not be considered "high end" by audiophiles who listen to $3K+ SACD players, but to my ears it's better than the $800 Arcam I'm familiar with. Given the specs they are publishing, the Transporter should beam listeners up to a new level of listening enjoyment.

Re: New High End Music Server [message #14325 is a reply to message #14324] Tue, 25 July 2006 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent, thanks for the heads up. I'd really like to know how that stacks up to the better transports/DACs. I can think of a lot of places where it would be perfect, both for home hifi and for quality-conscious commercial installs too, like background music in fine resaurants, museums and places like that.

Re: New High End Music Server [message #14326 is a reply to message #14324] Thu, 27 July 2006 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Fred,
I was impressed by the squeeze box too. I am a bit disturbed by the overhype in the Transporter announcement. Phrases like "miracle" dac make it almost appear like a spoof, and seem to indicate they are moving in the direction of snake oil. I hope that does not happen.
I was considering their products, but now am pulling back a little.
-akhilesh

Alkilesh, It Could be Worse [message #14327 is a reply to message #14326] Mon, 31 July 2006 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
From the DK site regarding their LSA10 speakers:

"Ladies and gentlemen brace yourselves. Audio manufacturers run for cover. Soon to be released is the greatest loudspeaker that has ever appeared in the course of human history."

Re: Alkilesh, It Could be Worse [message #14329 is a reply to message #14327] Thu, 10 August 2006 14:17 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yes! I know.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Technics SP-10 Mk3 Question - help please !
Next Topic: Home Built Table Extrodinaire
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 03 04:16:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout