Home » Audio » Source » Digital Dummy has a question or two :)
Digital Dummy has a question or two :) [message #14321] Mon, 10 July 2006 20:17 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Is there any benefit to hooking up more than one connection to a HT receiver? I.E. using S-video plus digital co-axila and analog. Will they cause problems? I'm looking for the best picture & sound I can get with what I have.

It's a Pioneer VSX 26, Denon 755/1910 DVD player. The Pioneer book says if you use S-video from the DVD to the receiver you should go S-video from the receiver to the TV. Is the digital cable any better than the rca cable?

Re: Digital Dummy has a question or two :) [message #14322 is a reply to message #14321] Tue, 11 July 2006 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The S-Video signal contains only video, and is composed of a brightness and color line, both analogs. The signal on the RCA line is a composite of all control, brightness and color signals. So S-Video is potentially better, although in practice, I'm not sure it really is. While S-Video signals carry the information in two components, the color signal is still a composite. Better performance can be obtained by keeping all video signals separate, such as RGB component video.

Re: Digital Dummy has a question or two :) [message #14323 is a reply to message #14322] Tue, 11 July 2006 22:20 Go to previous message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Thanks for the explanation Wayne. Now it begins to make sense.

Previous Topic: Anyone listen to the DDDAC 1543 MK2?
Next Topic: Technics SL-220? worth keeping??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 18:17:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio