Home » Audio » Source » Interesting DAC Bargain - $135
Interim Report [message #14263 is a reply to message #14262] Fri, 09 September 2005 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
With about 40 hours running time I decided to compare it to my Onix XCD-88 player and my Scott Nixon tube dac. So far the Scott Nixon and the Onix are tied, with the Lite DAC in third place. I really do need to give this DAC another 50 hours before forming any conclusions, but at this point it sounds just a bit opaque compared to the other two, which sound transparent in comparison.

I did rig it briefly as a non oversampling dac just to hear the difference, and the opacity/harshness was gone but so was the upper treble. I did this mod by attaching jumper cables to the leads of R35 and R36, tapping into the output of the dacs before the op amps. The positive lead from each resistor was connected through a 3uF Northcreek cap for DC isolation, then into the interconnect to the preamp. I made no other changes such as removing the op amps.

I would appreciate it if someone who knows more about dac design would look at the link below and tell me if these resistors are the correct place to tap into the dac chip outputs. There's a link to the schematic in this article.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC/dac5.html

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Sony PS-LX250H Stop Button
Next Topic: Thorens TD145 + Ortofon MC 20 - HELP!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 12:29:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio