Home » Audio » Source » Onix XCD-88
OP Amp Upgrade [message #14234 is a reply to message #14233] Fri, 22 July 2005 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The upgrade OPA627 op amps arrived yesterday and the adapters arrived today. The stock op amps are two channel chips while the 627's are single channel, so you have to get an adapter for each channel. The Parts Connexion sells the 627's installed in adapter boards for $50 ea, or you can buy a set of five 627's from USA Caps on Ebay for $24.99 and order two adapter boards from Cimmaron Technologies for $3 each. If there ever was a no-brainer this is it.

Five for $25 sounds like cheap parts to me, but this kind of op amp would only be used in the better players, typically in the $3K range and above, so they are a significant improvement over the stock ones. It took about five minutes of warmup to begin to hear the difference. I'll leave it on repeat all night, but already there's an improvement in the separation of instruments, L to R and F to B, within the soundstage. With the op amp upgrade this has become a seriously good CD player which I would recommend without reservation to anyone considering an upgrade from a mass market player or from an older mid fi player.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message