Home » Audio » Source » Minidisks?
Minidisks? [message #13913] Wed, 11 April 2007 08:13 Go to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
Do you think that the minidisk format is still strongly supported?

I don't use it now, but I do own a Yamaha 8 Track recorder on the minidisk format. I have several disks and I like the machine.

Is anybody else still using them?

Re: Minidisks? [message #13914 is a reply to message #13913] Fri, 13 April 2007 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Ok so when you say minidisks,do you mean literally a disk? like the disk that you use to save things on your computer. Because I seen my producer use a minidisk to save his tracks but he did say that most people aren't really using it anymore.

Re: Minidisks? [message #13918 is a reply to message #13914] Sun, 15 April 2007 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yes, they're smaller than the old floppies, and I think they were widely used for computer data storage. I still have a handful of them, but I don't use them unless I want to record something out of the house. Then the Yamaha recorder would be much more portable.

Re: Minidisks? [message #13922 is a reply to message #13918] Tue, 17 April 2007 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
britjojo is currently offline  britjojo
Chancellor
No, but then I don't think that they were EVER well supported. In the UK where I did most of my work, it was hard to find them anywhere. There was just one gig that I regularly did that had a keyboard that took them, but other than that it was just my own equipment. I sold it on as soon as I could.

Maybe that was just my hick town though.

Re: Minidisks? [message #13923 is a reply to message #13922] Wed, 18 April 2007 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
In my case, I'll keep the unit because I could only sell it for a fraction of what I paid, plus aside from the Minidisk recorder, it is a pretty good mixer with sweepable EQ.

I haven't given up on ever using it again as a recorder, though.

Re: Minidisks? [message #13924 is a reply to message #13913] Wed, 18 April 2007 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinningstar is currently offline  shinningstar
Viscount
I like the look of last year's Minidisc-based digital 4-track machines, but need more tracks, look no further. I heard about Yamaha MD8 manages 8-track recording and playback but I'm not sure if it's still priced at just under a thousand pounds.

Re: Minidisks? [message #13928 is a reply to message #13924] Thu, 19 April 2007 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Hey shinningstar, that's the model I have. I bought it back in 1998, so I'm not sure if it's an earlier version of the one you saw or not.

I haven't seen Minidisk-based recorders in the stores lately, but I bet there are some for sale in the second hand market.

Re: Minidisks? [message #13931 is a reply to message #13923] Thu, 26 April 2007 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
So pretty much most producers and or engineers don't really use minidisk anymore when dealing with recordings?

Re: Minidisks? [message #13932 is a reply to message #13931] Sun, 29 April 2007 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I'd like to think that there are still healthy minidisk systems out there, but I don't think anybody buying a new system would go this route.

I still hope to be able to use mine if I want to, and so far, so good.

Re: Minidisks? [message #13933 is a reply to message #13932] Tue, 08 May 2007 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Do you ever think that they will actually come back in style?

Previous Topic: Joe Zawinul (obituary)
Next Topic: EAC Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 04 04:24:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout