Home » Audio » Source » Cassette ramblings...
Re: Cassette ramblings... [message #13809 is a reply to message #13808] Fri, 03 December 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Dave,

Man, that's great that you're finding such good prices!

I still like tape too. I've been a long time user of Hi-Fi cassette. Some might consider cassette Mid-Fi, especially since most cassette equipment was. But there were some very high end tape decks made in the seventies and eighties. Your Tascams were a great example.

I stayed with cassette because I used them in cars. Back in the eighties, I ran Concorde cassette decks in my cars, which sound better than most CD players I've heard. These things were statement products. So I wanted to make good quality tapes for them, and found an Onkyo deck that had a bias adjustment. Not just the switch for tape type, but a variable knob for fine adjustment. I found that certain tapes worked best at certain settings, and without an adjustment, you really couldn't get the best sound from any given tape. That bias adsjustment knob has been a mandatory option on all tape decks I've purchased ever since.

Now days I still maintain tape for the same reason. My Cutlass uses a cassette deck, and I wanted to keep the stock dash trim which precludes my upgrading to a CD unit. Later models mount a CD player, and it's really a simple matter of using trim that had a larger cutout. But I wanted to stay stock, so I have a cassette deck in the car. Most thieves aren't old enough to remember cassette, so it thwarts them too.

Naturally, with a cassette deck in my car, I needed a good home deck to record with. So a few years back, I went on a search for a good unit. Most of the new units are of the old mid-fi variety anymore; I guess the thinking is that most people aren't using them. That's made availability of high quality decks even scarcer than it was two decades ago. But I did find the Sony KA1ESA. It's a great sounding high-quality deck and it has the requisite bias adjustment knob.

I guess if I had thought about it, I could have searched for a good cassette deck on eBay. What stopped me from trying was that I purchased a used Tascam cassette deck, thinking it was the old studio deck like you're undoubtedly talking about. I really like the pro decks made for doing four track recording. Great sounding decks, durable and nice sounding.

But what I mistakenly bought was the Taskam 202 MKII, thinking it would be more like the "real" pro units. It's not. The 202 is Tascam in name only, and is like a $59.95 discount store special. Terrible. So I didn't try the used deal again, and instead decided to search for a good new deck. If I hadn't been successful, I would have most certainly gone back to Tascam and purchased a good professional deck.

Anyway, I'm with you on this Dan. The sound quality of a good high-quality tape formula in a good tape deck is surprising. At 1.875ips, it's pushing the edge of magnetic media technologies, but it's convenient and good sounding.

Wayne

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message