Home » Audio » General » Gonzo Man is Gone
Gonzo Man is Gone [message #1313] Mon, 21 February 2005 07:39 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hunter Thompson just committed suicide at home at Woody Creek. It's like a punch in the gut. F**k it.

Re: Gonzo Man is Gone [message #1324 is a reply to message #1313] Tue, 22 February 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
"Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas" is a masterpiece -- in college, we knew large chunks of it by heart and would use lines from it constantly. "Fear and Loathing On the Campaign Trail" is likewise a hilarious and penetrating account and well worth reading.

Over the years, however, it seemed to me that his humor became more bitter and less insightful. Rather than highlighting absurdity by describing (or mutating) specific events, and letting those events speak for themselves, he merely ranted about them. Very sad.

Re: Gonzo Man is Gone [message #1326 is a reply to message #1324] Tue, 22 February 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You have a point. The thing is he created an art form intimately tied in with our youth. He was able to communicate a deep and sincere love for the three things; Language; Liberty; and Literature better than anyone else. And he lived his life on his terms; an inspiration for everone forced to swallow all the garbage that currently passes for truth.
And he had fun.
We will not see his like again.
When I was a kid I used to wear the T-Sirt with his saying on it;
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs and insanity for everyone; but they've always worked for me."
"In a society of swine; all pigs are upwardly mobile."

Doonesbury [message #1349 is a reply to message #1313] Tue, 08 March 2005 12:32 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Doonesbury's doing a tribute this week.

Previous Topic: GPAC Meet on March 19
Next Topic: Help to identify vintage Goodmans Hi-Fi speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 09:18:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio