Home » Audio » Source » Earth Wire
Earth Wire [message #13323] Wed, 14 March 2007 03:29 Go to next message
Shabba is currently offline  Shabba
Esquire
Hi, Ive just bought a second hand belt driven turntable. However it has come with an earth wire and as my amplifier doesn't have a connector for this what do I do with it?

If I connect up my record player without the earth wire will it work, be dangerous or damage my system in any way?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid but I'm a bit new to this and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Earth Wire [message #13324 is a reply to message #13323] Wed, 14 March 2007 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you don't connect the ground wire, then you'll hear a lot of hum when the phono input is selected. You can connect it directly to the chassis of the amp, but if there isn't a specific chassis ground connection, then chances are your amplifier doesn't have phono inputs. If that's true, you'll need to get a phono stage preamp. Otherwise, volume will be very low - You'll barely hear the record even at full volume.

Re: Earth Wire [message #13381 is a reply to message #13324] Tue, 08 May 2007 14:28 Go to previous message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Oh oj so would you say that it would be better if youhooked up the wire to the chassis rather than the preamp?

Previous Topic: Recording From Turntable To Computer
Next Topic: I want to be converted!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 16:41:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout