Home » Audio » Source » Dual 1258 and Panasonic RD9090
Dual 1258 and Panasonic RD9090 [message #13139] Mon, 06 November 2006 04:02 Go to next message
Joshua Beecham is currently offline  Joshua Beecham
Esquire
I picked up an old Panasonic multiple play turntable. I have it plugged into a Sony receiver with a phono input. It plays fine, but its like the volume is hot. You barely turn up the volume knob and it's really loud and a little distorted. Anyone have any idea what the deal might be. As best I can tell the turntable had the original cartridge and diamond stylus. I replaced the stylus but the volume did the same thing with the new one. I would appreciate any thoughts. I'm rather new at this.

Also, I am considering buying a Dual 1258 fully automatic/multiple play turntable in mint condition with an Ortifon cardridge. The people are asking about $80 for it. Anyone know any history on that unit? Is that a good price? Any pitfalls I should watch out for.

Thanks,
Josh

Re: Dual 1258 and Panasonic RD9090 [message #13147 is a reply to message #13139] Mon, 13 November 2006 22:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Did you check the preamp input level? If it is set for moving coil and your cartridge has a moving magnet, that might do it. If the cartridge is ceramic, that would definitely do it.

Previous Topic: Just a few hours
Next Topic: 1/3 of the haul
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 11 13:20:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout