Home » Audio » General » Cables???
Cables??? [message #1301] Sun, 20 February 2005 07:04 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Anything goes as long as it is audio and honest. You got cables we got forum's. How about a connections forum dealing with all types of audio connectors and methods; including discussions of DIY/grounding/shielding materials maintenence. Mounting connectors maybe.
Share your ideas here; what are you thinking?
What would you like to see?
What aspects of cable discussions are of interest to you?

Re: Cables??? [message #1305 is a reply to message #1301] Sun, 20 February 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've always been a meat and potatoes kind of guy. What's good for the telecom industry and others like it is good enough for me. Balanced pairs are best, shielded even better. If line impedance is high, noise suppression is more difficult than if impedance is low. Preamp level signals should be short and shielded, best if balanced but most home gear isn't. High current lines like speaker outputs are obviously less of a problem where noise is concerned, but current carrying capacity and internal resistance is an issue. Sometimes tube amps have other issues with output loads. Negative feedback taken from the output line can sometimes have peculiar side-effects too. But those are beyond a cables discussion.

Re: Cables??? [message #1306 is a reply to message #1305] Sun, 20 February 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
True;true. I was wondering what the Vinyl guy had in mind. Never know whats up till you ask. Only the spoon knows whats in the pot!

Here's what the vinyl guy has in mind.... [message #1307 is a reply to message #1301] Sun, 20 February 2005 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,

As you know I am new here so don't really feel like it's my place to tell you what I want but since you asked here goes (keeping in mind I am fresh from the Audio Asylum):

I don't know how the other posters here feel, be that as it may, I believe there are audible differences in speaker cable and interconnect cables. IMO these differences can be significant. Not great but significant. As AA has a separate area for this kind of discussion I would like to see one here. However too many different areas can be confusing. I think AA has gone to far with separate areas for too many things. So I will leave it to you. Don't know how many people here feel there is a audible difference, and if they do whether or not they feel it justify's another discussion area. As far as connectors etc goes. That would all be part of the "cable" discussion area.

Thanks for listening.
Mr Vinyl

Re: Here's what the vinyl guy has in mind.... [message #1308 is a reply to message #1307] Sun, 20 February 2005 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wayne has a very open mind and is very supportive regarding how the participants on the forum's choose to become involved. In my experience on ART some people feel there is meritt in the cable discussion and some just feel they don't hear much difference.
I can only speak for myself in that I hear differences and do favor certain types and brands; I don't neccessarily think it makes things better to a great degree, just different and that depends mostly on matching equipment.
One mans opinion.
But Ideas are money in the bank so please feel free to share; it will be appreciated.

Re: Some of my best friends are cables............ [message #1309 is a reply to message #1308] Mon, 21 February 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
.........but I wouldn't want my daughter to marry one!

Re: Cables don't kill........ [message #1310 is a reply to message #1308] Mon, 21 February 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
....cablephiles do!

Re:The problem isn't the cable industry ....... [message #1311 is a reply to message #1308] Mon, 21 February 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
.....it's the shmucks that pay $1,000 a foot for cable.
I've auditioned best-selling speaker cables and IC's: Coincident, AudioQuest, Mapleshade, Home Grown, DH Labs, Straightwire, etc. and made the DIY "giant-killers" made from Cat 5e Belden 89259 and Vampire CCC magnet wire.

As MB says, there are differences. And as Mr. Vinyl says, sometimes the differences are significant. However, $8/50 ft. Royal Cable speaker wire trounces all the above and my ca. 1986 Straightwire LSI IC's are clearer, cleaner and more musical than any of the above.

The Royal Cable is high quality copper 14 ga. and the Straightwire simply shielded copper, well-terminated.

The latest audiophile cables with 35 volt battery power supplies are the zenith of industry greed and cyncicism. Are cheap caps-in-a-box and batteries for "electro-magnetic shielding" design breakthroughs that merit compensation for vast R&D expenditures? Or are they the result of wee hours brainstorming for just another
bright, shiny toy that can be marketed at 100 times production cost?

And then there's the unblinking acceptance of whatever idea du jour is repeated more than once on these "cable forums". And if an industry figure opines positively on some magic it instantly becomes an immutable physical law. "Copper is good; silver is good; silver-coated copper is bad". "Solid sounds better than stranded."

How about the "fact" that every cablephile knows: it takes a pound-of-metal connector to get the signal to the speaker post. But, the best jumper for bi-wire posts is a piece of copper foil that barely makes contact.

Huh?

Let's talk about things we can pin a tail on and leave alchemy to the alchemists.

Royal Cable? [message #1312 is a reply to message #1311] Mon, 21 February 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Is this the Van Den Hul "Royal Jade Hybrid"? I searched the internet and couldn't find anyone who offers it, including the US dealers listed on the Van Den Hul website.

Whut Fred sez. [message #1314 is a reply to message #1311] Mon, 21 February 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Where do you find this Royal Cable speaker wire, Bill?  I went Googling and only found computer connectors.

Poinz

Previous Topic: No cable forum???
Next Topic: Sorry if this is an obvious question.......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 00:20:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio