Home » Audio » General » No cable forum???
No cable forum??? [message #1300] Sun, 20 February 2005 06:29 Go to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sorry, I'm new here. Are discussions of speaker cable and interconnects a no-no on this site? Or am I missing the link?

Re: No cable forum??? [message #1302 is a reply to message #1300] Sun, 20 February 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The omission of a cable forum was an intentional in establishing ART.

Since it's not up to me I cannot say that decision couldn't be reversed, but I do doubt that it would be.

Re: No cable forum??? [message #1304 is a reply to message #1300] Sun, 20 February 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The only things that are no-no's here are personal attacks and self-promotion. Can't post copyrighted stuff or break laws or whatever, but anyway, cable discussions aren't forbidden or anything.

There is no separate cables forum because it didn't seem like there was a need for one. It's kinda like there isn't a forum for point-to-point wiring and a forum for PCB etching, etc. Maybe talk about speaker wires in speaker forums or here in general. Preamp and interconnects might work in the amp forums. Optical fibers probably would be best in one of the digital forums.

DBT! DBT! DBT! DBT! DBT! Show me the DBT!!! (nt) [message #1316 is a reply to message #1300] Mon, 21 February 2005 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
nt

Hmm, show me the DBT that proves amps or preamps sound different? [message #1318 is a reply to message #1316] Mon, 21 February 2005 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Believe me I am not one to believe all the BS that many audio manufactures push on people. I would agree that most cables don't do much. But certain cable manufacturers cables can make a significant difference in my opinion (MIT cables for one. And yes they are grossly over priced). Could I pick them out in a DBT. Probably not. But I doubt I could reliably pick out amps and preamps in a DBT either. In fact if speakers were matched for decibels and both had a similar bass output, it would probably be hard to pick out speakers in a DBT as well. So does that mean there are no differences? Maybe or maybe not.

Re: EUREKA! That could explain break-in [message #1319 is a reply to message #1318] Mon, 21 February 2005 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Listen to A, Listen to B. Noticeable difference.

Listen to each with a curtain hiding them over and over, could be this, could be that, and then no more discernable difference.

If you could listen to both at the same time, and process the difference between them I wonder if that difference wouldn't fade over time.

It follows then that A-B doesn't work for the same reason break-in is mostly a bubba meintza, we quickly get used to the sound of a component and that sound is brain-processed into one that is pleasing.

Of course, the premise is probably faulty........

Well, here is the way I see it... [message #1320 is a reply to message #1319] Mon, 21 February 2005 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
First, again I do believe there are audible differences in cables. That said, lets say there is no difference and I just think there is a difference. The old Placebo effect. Since music is subjective and everyone probably hears differently anyway, the only thing that matters to me is that I think I hear a difference. If I think certain cables sound better to me in my system then I don't care if I am really hearing a difference or I just think I am. It's the same thing see? Think of it as food. If something tastes good to me but tastes like crap to you it doesn't matter to me. It may actually taste like crap and I just got used to the taste and "think" it tastes good. But who cares. Money is well spent in my opinion if you get enjoyment out of what you bought. Doesn't matter if you over paid. You could get the best deal in the world on a stake dinner but if you don't enjoy it you've wasted your money. See?

Sir, Well said (nt) [message #1321 is a reply to message #1320] Mon, 21 February 2005 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Re: Well, here is the way I see it... [message #1323 is a reply to message #1320] Tue, 22 February 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Mr. Vinyl; The thing is you may like to play Baseball, you may love the game and play well; even catch a 90 mph fastball. But you are not ever going to be Pudge, or Thurman Munson. But as a player and afficianado of the game you can admitt and enjoy watching them. And distiguish between your good level of play and their great level of play. It doesn't diminish your enjoyment one bit to know that the game is played better; but you know that to be the truth.
Thats like audio; you know when something sounds great; and if you are honest you will admitt it and enjoy it for the accomplishment of it; even if it is better than what you have.
You will get joy out of excersizing your ability to distinguish the rest from the best. To me that is the benefit of participating in the hobby; the results of study and exposure to all of the nuances of the equipment results in that you are more knowledgeable and sophisticated in your choices and ability to choose. And you enjoy learning to appreciate better design. And therefor you get more out of the time you spend with recorded music.

Re: Well, here is the way I see it... [message #1325 is a reply to message #1323] Tue, 22 February 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,

I think the problem with your theory is that (if you believe in the placebo effect) then your "ability to distinguish the rest from the best" could all be in your mind right? In other words if I think I hear a difference in cables because of the placebo effect, then wouldn't it stand to reason that you may not hear a difference in cables because of the placebo effect? You don't hear a difference because you "think" there is no difference and don't "expect" to hear a diffence. It works both ways. Frankly I would rather be on your side than mine. Unfortunately I "think" there is a difference so I will spend my money accordingly.

It may seem crazy, but I could swear my car "runs" better after I wash and wax it!

Mr Vinyl

PS There will never be another Thurman Munson.

Previous Topic: My headphone amp for my bass
Next Topic: Cables???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 23:38:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout