Home » Audio » Source » Buying a turntable
Re: Buying a turntable [message #12673 is a reply to message #12672] Mon, 05 December 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Anonymous is currently offline  Anonymous
Baron
Thanks!

I will most likely be using an Ortofon OM 30 cartidge. They seem to be the best, according to reviews.

Presently, I have a cheap preamp, RCA AH500, that I bought for use with my old turntable. After I select a new turntable, I will be selecting a new preamp for it.

I have read a lot of criticizm towards Technics SL 1200 turntables, and Technics turntables in general. Nonetheless, I do believe that they are great. I do not believe that their price is in any way proportional to their quality of sound. QUALITY OF SOUND, AS I KNOW, DEPENDS MOSTLY ON THE CARTRIDGE AND THE STYLUS, as well as on the record. I know about Thorens as well. Many positive things have been said about it.

I am not trying to save on sound quality. I want to save on features that I will never be using. DJ turntables offer a lot of them and are therefore expensive, while the sound quality (if it even depends on the turntable itself) could be the same as on a cheaper non-DJ model.

I went to a Sony store today. They did not have the model I talked about, only a cheap one. Seems to me that this model is not available here in Canada.

I keep looking and reading reviews...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message