Home » Audio » Source » What turntable should i get?
What turntable should i get? [message #12012] Fri, 25 March 2005 22:41 Go to next message
Tim is currently offline  Tim
Esquire
Hi, im another one of those new people who dont know anything about turntables. I want to get one though. I only wanted to spend under 200, and i want one that sounds good as possible for that price. I liked the idea of getting a second hand one that looked old style, but im guessing the new ones would have better sound quality. any help would be great, like what brands are good and what are bad. thanks.

P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12013 is a reply to message #12012] Fri, 25 March 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim is currently offline  Tim
Esquire
nt

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12014 is a reply to message #12013] Sat, 26 March 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Look on the Turntable Factory website and get one of their re-built Techniques tables.

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12015 is a reply to message #12013] Sat, 26 March 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Also, check the vinyle nirvana site, they usually feature several AR tables and all he sells has been gone through and rebuilt to full working order, like the turntable factory, but VN only deals with AR.

Regards, Russellc

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12016 is a reply to message #12015] Sat, 26 March 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I was just looking at the site, and they also had thorens, and while their prices are very fair, they are well above your 200 budget, but you can find them unrestored for less, and you can see what they look like.

Russellc

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12017 is a reply to message #12013] Sat, 26 March 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If you decide to buy used; just avoid any belt drive tables unless you know exactly what you want and how to fix it and maintain it. Should you not choose to learn this and do the work, stay with a Direct Drive.

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12018 is a reply to message #12017] Sun, 27 March 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I'm not a fan of direct drives, but many are, especially the technics 1200 series. If buying unrestored, a belt drive will require some attention. Most of the direct drives that need attention i have seen usually will no longer keep speed, which I,myself will not fool with. Most direct drives are plastic ( I know ,not all, Kenwood made belt and direct drive with the "marble like" top which are sought after.)
and mounting an upgrade tonearm is impossible or not worth the problem. Finally, haveing modded a few tables in my day, I simply can not get past having the motor not only not isolated from the platter, but part of it. That said, to just get a table to do the basic work and no more a direct drive may be a good choice, and the turntable factory will be in budget and certainly get the job done. I don't know how they perform but the Dennon direct drives alway LOOKED quality but I never owned or used one. There seems to be a LOT of support for the technics 1200 series out there. With audio, I have always found "cry once and buy the best you can" a good rule of thumb. If you're really into it, (audio that is) vinyle is going to hook you big time and you will be looking for more. While I'm sure some will disagree, and my opinion is only that, a direct drive table has built in design problems which can not be overcome in the way a belt drive can. To wit, there are no "high end" turntables that are direct drive that I am aware of, and while you could probably fill a battleship with things I'm not aware of, it is at least a general trend. With an under 200 dollar budget, most of what I've said is irrelavent anyway for the most part. at 200, you have to compromise, either something that needs attention or unrestored, or something inexpensive...see general rule above.
welcome to vinyle! There is just something about a turntable, very mechanical and by far my favorite component, that is just satisfying.

Regards, Russellc

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12020 is a reply to message #12018] Sun, 27 March 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Please accept this in the spirit it is offered. There is absolutely no doubt or dispute with anything you have said. You obviously have extensive experience at this and more importantly you have a true enthusiast's outlook and apreciation for vinyl and the equipment needed to reproduce it.
When I see a question concerning a very simple aspect of TT purchase/repair or advice from someone who is very obviously a newcomer to vinyl I have found it best to be specific and brief. Someone asking for a recommendation in a price range of 200$ is probably not looking to get deeply involved in theory and mechanical repair. I belive they really just want a simple and basic idea of what they are getting into; what they need to do it and where to look.
We grew up around turntables; I still have two of my old AR's sitting downstairs in various states of modification as I know you do also.
I really don't see this guy looking to rebuild and modify a 40 yr old table.
But if we steer him to a nicely functioning Technics that sounds decent( and they do) and requires no real maintenence and set-up is minimal; we have helped him and maybe encouraged someone to get into vinyl themselves.
That is why I try to keep my answers short/sharp and to the point for these types of questions.
I have also found that between the Linn and the Technics in my basement, most newcomers don't even hear a MAJOR difference in sound.

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12021 is a reply to message #12020] Sun, 27 March 2005 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Absolutely correct. Nothing more frustrating than trying to enter something like vinyle, and have endless hassels with an unrestored piece. Plus, the turntable factory is an excellent outfit to deal with and are obviously a labour of love type of business. Nothing meant to take from your recommendation which is solid as can be given the posters request and budget constraints. While my first table was a belt drive, it was an inexpensive budget Kenwood. It was only belt drive because I couldn't afford their more expensive tables, which were direct drive...something very much in vogue at the time. My next table, a marantz whose model number I can not remember was also direct drive. It eventually wouldn't keep speed after YEARS of use. This is something that can be fixed, my comment was based on the fact I wouldn't know where to begin with fixing it, but others, like the turntable factory, sure do. Just alternative verbage and planting seeds for future choices and nothing more. Apologies if appearance was otherwise.

Best regards, Russellc

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12022 is a reply to message #12021] Sun, 27 March 2005 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Total agreement; keep up with the AR posts if you can. They are informative and to my mind offer a step-up to those adventerous spirits who have experienced good vinyl and are looking to move up to a very good sounding and enjoyably involving project.

To anyone with a yearning to start a project that pound for pound will get you the maximum increase in sound quality available for your audio budget forget every thing else and build a AR modded table with a good arm/cartridge. It will provide more musically satisfying results than any other DIY effort. And Russell has this down well and should he choose to provide a project photo history it will; in my opinion, be a worhty addition to the ART data bank.

Previous Topic: Just upgraded my source to older hi-fi: Museatex By Ed Meitner
Next Topic: AR Turntable Pic of the Week at Vinyl Nirvana
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 06:57:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout