Home » Audio » Source » Turntable thrust bearing (replacement) alternative
Re: Turntable thrust bearing (replacement) alternative [message #11937 is a reply to message #11936] Wed, 16 February 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
DanR is currently offline  DanR
Baron
Hello, David - cheers back to you!

It appears that the teflon solution works! You can (usually) get sheets of teflon from gasket-making companies. This material is used frequently to make gaskets/seals for pipe-joints, etc. I got mine from such a company -- they gave me a bunch of left-over/scrap sheets at no cost.

I saw your posting. I can envision the problem with the paddle switches -- but have not suffered that ... yet. If you are mechanically inclined -- turn the unit over -- make sure that you support it properly to avoid damaging the tone-arm and its bearings -- and examine the entire link system associated with the switches. It might be necessary to remove a shield -- especially the one over the phenolic wafer that has the grounding-switches. Manipulate the paddles and look for any type of mechanical latching mechanism that might not be activating -- maybe a spring is missing or a piece of something is bent or broken-off or something needs to be lightly lubricated. I do not have the manual so I cannot direct you to specific things -- and I really do not want to turn my unit upside-down any more than I have to ...

The arm lowering mechanism on mine did not work and I discovered that the problem was caused by old grease. A little cleaning and some liquid WD-40 (injected from a syringe with a fine needle) solved that problem. Because the TTs are now over 40 years old, you can expect to find that many problems are caused by deteriorated lubricants. Cleaning and re-lubing in recommended -- just don't get anything on the idler-wheel or on the TT inside rim.

Let me know if you solve your problem.

Regards,
Dan

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Do I need a Phono pre-amp box???
Next Topic: Systemdek 2 bearing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 01:29:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout