Home » Audio » Source » Ground static
Ground static [message #11882] Tue, 01 February 2005 18:16 Go to next message
muggster is currently offline  muggster
Esquire
Hi everybody,
I'm new here and fairly ignorant.I don't have alot of experience with turntables but some......been a long time...also...I have never owned a expensive turntable so I really don't know how to compare between them.

Anyway,I just bought a used Technics(model sl-23)frequency generator servo belt drive. it has a new "Audio Technics AT3482P" cartridge in it.It sounds pretty good to me considering the record I have playing in it(Electric Ladyland) needs a cleaning.No skips or anything like that,just this constant buzzing.I have attached the ground wire and can't figure out what the problem is.(buzzing is much worse without ground)
Thanks for any help and opinions.
Also,does anybody know anything about the turntable and cartridge.Are they decent,junk,average?

Re: Ground static [message #11883 is a reply to message #11882] Tue, 01 February 2005 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muggster is currently offline  muggster
Esquire
Culprit found.

Right after I posted I figured it out.I remembered that I had a small fan,controlled by a light dimmer,cut in the back of my entertainment center behind my receiver.I turned it off and presto,problem solved.

Opinions on the turntable still welcome though.

Re: Ground static [message #11885 is a reply to message #11883] Wed, 02 February 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Technics stuff is usually pretty good. How many records do you have?

Re: Ground static [message #11886 is a reply to message #11883] Wed, 02 February 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, yeah, those light dimmers make sharp edged waveforms and lots-O-noise. Another common culprit that is easily overlooked is florescent lights which can introduce noise too.

Re: Ground static [message #12062 is a reply to message #11882] Fri, 08 April 2005 20:43 Go to previous message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
Could be your pre-amp. I disposed of all my noisy 1980s stuff and got a pre-amp and it still produced a 60 cycle hum. I took it apart and isolated the power supply--didn't help. Still got the 60 cycle hum from the power supply. So I trashed it and invested in a real good 90 s/n pre-amp with an external power supply. No more hum. Quiet as a mouse.

Previous Topic: Vinyl onto CD
Next Topic: AR turntable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 28 15:17:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout