Home » Audio » Source » Anyone here with Systemdeck IIX experience?
Re: I'm about to try an Ariston RD-11 [message #11825 is a reply to message #11823] Thu, 06 January 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There was a failure of a couple storage caps on the Valhalla that was pretty common. Mine is a 1984 vintage and Linn dealer charged me 90$ to rebuild the valhalla. You could rebuild it yourself, the specs are floating around on the net. There is a very simple circuit; I think I have a copy if you are interested, that consists of an isolation trans,switch,couple resistors and a cap that some people claim sounds very good replacing the existing power supply. The basic power supply is cheap; I forget exactly the price but that is also an option. ExtremePhono has a thorough and complete site detailing everything to know about Linn LP 12's.
As for advice I am biased towards the Linn; many think it is fat and bloated and it does run slow, but I like it's musicality and haven't heard anything within reason that sounds better. The asking price of 500$ seems more than fair even if you drop 100$ on the PS. And the Denon cartidge works like a dream in the Ittok. I am now using a Empire Gold Low output MC and that tracks nicely also. But I would avoid Grado's; in my humble experience they don't agree with each other. The arm seems to favor lower compliance carts.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message