Home » Audio » Source » REQUIRED:HEADSHELL FOR AR XB1
REQUIRED:HEADSHELL FOR AR XB1 [message #11475] Fri, 02 January 2004 23:37 Go to next message
Howard is currently offline  Howard
Baron
Dear TT forum,

I have just picked up a nice old AR XB1 on eBay. (circa 70's) The plastic headshell is missing a notch and will not lock into the arm I need to find a spare from somewhere. Or has anyone any suggestions regarding a new tonearm.

I would like to keep it original if possibe

Howard
Queensland

Re: REQUIRED:HEADSHELL FOR AR XB1 [message #11476 is a reply to message #11475] Sat, 03 January 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Last year theneedledoctor.com had black headshells for about $50US
There's ARGuy on E-Bay who has some parts and an upgrade motor and AudioXpress has articles archived on installing Grace tonearm and other upgrades

Re: REQUIRED:HEADSHELL FOR AR XB1 [message #11477 is a reply to message #11476] Sat, 03 January 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

Dear Bill

Thanks for the valuable information. I have started by contacting the needle doctor in MN

I assume you own something similar

I also own a Merrill modified AR Legend (ES). Owned from new. It is basically a XB1 in new clothes. I have included a picture above.

Thanks again

Howard

Re: REQUIRED:HEADSHELL FOR AR XB1 [message #11478 is a reply to message #11477] Sat, 03 January 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The pinout on the original plastic headshell is deeper than standard units I believe the only one you can use is the original, thats why they are so scarce. I have lots of parts for them but no headshells, sorry.

Re: REQUIRED:HEADSHELL FOR AR XB1 [message #11479 is a reply to message #11475] Thu, 08 January 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Howard I wanted to elaborate somwhat on the mods for AR xb. There was a tutorial in the original Audio Ameteur that presented a list of mods including the tonearm,motor and platter. I performed most of them and I can tell you the results compared to a Technics 1200 and a Thorens td 160. Before the mods the ar was dull and boomy. After it handily wiped the technics and compared with the Thorens. The best part is it turned the arm into a good tracker enabling me to use my shure type iv wich is high compliance and usually would not work well in that arm. Basically we tightened up the bearings with plumbers tape, ground down that nub on the bearing housing and secured it with epoxy, coated the platter with golf club lead shaft tape reversed the leads to the motor and upgraded the power supply cap shrink wrapped the tonearm shaft and some other mods. If you are interested I would be glad to forward the original methods, but I must say I used the table for some time and only surrendered when I got my lp 12. The original tonearm can sound pretty good.

Re: REQUIRED:HEADSHELL FOR AR XB1 [message #11480 is a reply to message #11479] Thu, 08 January 2004 14:47 Go to previous message
Baron
Dear Manualblock.

Thanks for taking the time to write. Yes I am most interested. Perhaps we can contact each other directly via email

howard@eastmarinedrive.com

Best Wishes

Howard

Previous Topic: How long has this been goin' on?
Next Topic: DIY Turntables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 14 03:18:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout