Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Hybrid SET question
Hybrid SET question [message #11378] Mon, 14 May 2007 13:26 Go to next message
TampaTubes is currently offline  TampaTubes
Esquire
This maybe a really stupid question but what the hell. In the interest of open minded experimentation, is it possible to use an IC like the LM4562 as the input/driver of a 2 stage SET amp? Anything from a relatively easy load like a 6bq5 to a 300B or 845, whatever?

Re: Hybrid SET question [message #11379 is a reply to message #11378] Wed, 16 May 2007 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you think about it, this is pretty much what tubed DACs do. Some take the op-amps out and drive the tube directly from the DAC, but you still have solid state driving tubes. Even if just a ladder voltage divider, it's still sand driving tubes. I'd say give it a go and see how it sounds!

Re: Hybrid SET question [message #11381 is a reply to message #11378] Thu, 19 July 2007 06:57 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I'm thinking that the max rail voltages of +/- 17v might limit you to easy tubes like EL84,EL34. Otherwise you might need an additional gain stage. The swing needed for a 300b is pretty healthy, and an 845 much more so. Still, no reason it couldn't be used as a 1st stage in a 3 stage design. I'm not any kind of expert on this, so maybe someone else will chime in.

Previous Topic: Tweaking the ARC LS-1
Next Topic: fender hot rod series combo amp ques.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 08:52:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio