Home » Audio » General » Happy thanks giving and wanted to share a revelatory moment
Happy thanks giving and wanted to share a revelatory moment [message #1130] Thu, 25 November 2004 18:29 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hope you all had a good thanksgiving.
My system did smething really cool the other day that i tought i'd share.
This is my setup:
one transport, 2 dacs (all 3 museatex), one pair of klipschorns connected to one of the dacs via an el84 SET amp (about 5 watts) a,d one pair of home brews connected to the other mudeatex bidat, via a 45 SET (1.5 watts).

Just so we know, that means: i pair speakers at 104 db eff, and one pair speakers at 95 db eff. They are symmetrically situated in the room.

On impulse, i turned both amps on, so that the sound was going to both speakers. I expected it to sound terrible. It did not!

The sound was slightly less clean than with my homebrews, but the imaging was still a lot better than many speakers. The timbre was quite good, again better than many speakers. But, the DYNAMICS.....

oooooh.... it sounded live. Like there was a live band in my room.
It sounded like i was in the middle of the performance. Very very awesome. Especially for classical, i now listen to the system thataway: my home brews seem to blend with my khorns quite well, and both seem to complement the other.

Interested folk are invited to come listen, as always. When i switch back to one or the other, they sound very different, cleaner (esp the homebrews), but neither can do what they can do together.
I am learning now what "dynamics" means.
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Ever get flamed for being "technical" on a speaker forum?
Next Topic: RCA model 7060
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 11:22:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout