Home » Audio » General » Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Saturday at 2:00
Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Saturday at 2:00 [message #110] Thu, 08 January 2004 08:33 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Akhilesh Bajaj is hosting a meeting of the Great Plains Audio Community at his house this Saturday January 10 at 2:00pm.

Click here for details.

Re: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Saturday at 2:00 [message #111 is a reply to message #110] Thu, 08 January 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I was wondering if Meetup.com could be used for any application
for the readers of the various DIY boards and forums (?)

Re: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Saturday at 2:00 [message #112 is a reply to message #111] Thu, 08 January 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's an excellent idea.

I'm looking at the site right now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Re: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Saturday at 2:00 [message #113 is a reply to message #112] Thu, 08 January 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Don't know if Meetup will work for small groups. It first
came to my attention reading about political campaigns.

Would be a good place to go if all the various forums
could get in on it.

Wayne, I'd suggest as a followup that at some point the
suggestion be made that all the forums include some sort of link to Meetup in the same way that sites have subscribed to google.

I'd have a hard time doing that as an individual.

As you know, I've been trying to contact the Wisconsin
DIY community myself.

Re: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Saturday at 2:00 [message #114 is a reply to message #113] Thu, 08 January 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, I found that out about Meetup.com. I signed up, and then realized it was sort of generic. It does allow local businesses to advertise their restaurant or club, and that makes a nice suggestion for a place to meet. And you can post a little announcement, but I didn't see how to make a club event or anything like that. Then again, I didn't spend a lot of time with it; There may be a way to do it and I just didn't notice.

Keep plugging your desire to have Wisconsin folks form a club. There are probably some like-minded people there, but just like you, they haven't bumped into each other yet. By making yourself visible, you will increase your chances of meeting others and bringing people together. I noticed when you started doing this, and I thought it was a good idea. Eventually you'll find each other.

Where exactly are you in Wisconsin? Just to the south of you, there are some DIY audio folks in Illinois. Just around the corner is Ohio and there are some good folks there too. And to the north across the lake in Canada, there is another pocket of DIY hobbyists. So I already know a lot of people within about five hours drive from you.

Re: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Saturday at 2:00 [message #115 is a reply to message #114] Thu, 08 January 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

So I wasn't too off-base about Meetup. Good for Dennis Kucinch but not much for DIY.

My latest communique with the 20 or so who have responded to the DIYWisconsin inquiry included the information about audioroundtable.

Trouble is there are FAQs and forums all over the place and
smidgin of info here and a smidgin of info there. I think the craftsman forum is unique and an excellent addition to this site. It would be a place to archive methods of work.

For instance: there is no place you can go that I know of to find
a step by step with illustrations of how to build a crossover on a piece of the traditional masonite anywhere... anywhere at all including books because I've looked. I'm talking about getting your substrate, what sort of glue to use, method of connection (through the board or surface mount) etc. etc. I can't be the only one who has been on this quest.

Also I made the suggestion to Ed Dell at _audioXpress_ that all
construction projects include the three graphic forms of
schematic, diagram of parts placement and photo of the finished item.

Some of this has come to pass, but it's still dependent pretty much on the individual author.

Forgot to tell where I am [message #116 is a reply to message #114] Thu, 08 January 2004 13:55 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Other part of Wayne's post asked where I am located: I am in
Northeast Wisconsin in the city of Appleton... part of the Fox Cities which is about 100,000 altogether. Appleton is 30 miles South of Green Bay, home of the Packers football team.

Also I put together a newsgroup for the area on Usenet called

wi.northeastern.talk

There are several Wisconsin groups in the wi.* hierarchy but
this one stays fairly free of spam and crossposts. It is unmoderated and all subjects are welcome.

Newsgroups like this are available as a link from Google if using
a newsreader is not something you want to do.

I've been involved in telecomm for about 10 years. Got started
with a users group at that time.

Previous Topic: Permissions
Next Topic: Creative VS Shock 5.1 computer speaker setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 15:40:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers