Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Initial review of ASUSA (Antique Sound USA) K2003 SET amp
Re: Awesome discussion! [message #10627 is a reply to message #10626] Sat, 22 May 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Again, great posts from you gurus!
This explains: a) why the power caps in the ASUSA amp i just bought (and which is sounding really good now btw, maybe the cheap sovtek el84 output tubes i got with it were new & needed to break in!) has small caps in parallel with the larger electrolytic caps. I thnk the person who built it really did try to get the most from this little amp, and it sounds good!
Also, i built the cheap ($139) kit from antique sound a while back, and it uses a REALLY cheap full wave rectifier (all diodes in one small block, costs $3 or so at antiue sound) along with two really cheap power caps, and it's dead silent!

My impression is that silence is not the only benefit of a good power supply: a clean DC will also lead to better sound? Or is dirt in the power supply ALWAYS translated as hum?

Finally, from a pragmatic standpoint, what i have learnt is: Use a tube or a full wave FRED rectifier, along with a CLC filter, with fast caps in parallel with the electrolytic caps, or use blackgate/cerafine. Coorect me if i am mistaken!
This knowledge itself is very useful for us newbie amp hobbyists.
thanx
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Will increasing the primary imodance of my output trannies hurt?
Next Topic: Dealers in London for used tube preamplifier
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 11 04:20:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout