Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
217 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Sun, 23 January 2005 06:49 «» By: Manualblock
Re: Favorite flavors
This may not be directly on topic but first I would like to thank both of you guys for this interesting debate. I have always found it easier to learn when there is a discussion involved than when one person explains a situation. The points left out in an...
2 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Sat, 22 January 2005 21:09 «» By: Earl Geddes
Re: Favorite flavors
WayneThese two comments are not true."But the listening area just becomes too small. The reverberent field is usually non-uniform too, since the highly directional nature of a narrow HF horn is very different than the non-directional LF energies produced ...
3 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Mon, 17 January 2005 21:04 «» By: Earl Geddes
Re: Basshorns - Pro and Con
Well let me just give you a list of "common beliefs" that I have found wrong in the last year alone:1) THD and IMD indicate perceived distortion - wrong! In a widely quoted subjective test we showed that there is no correlation between THD or IMD and the...
4 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Fri, 14 January 2005 19:53 «» By: Earl Geddes
Yes I have seen Floyd's discussion. This is basic Acoustics 101. His analysis assumes perfectly rigid walls and even their studies were done in faily rigid rooms. I do not build my rooms like this. You see, if the walls are limp and well damped at LF ...
5 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Thu, 13 January 2005 20:40 «» By: Earl Geddes
This is a classic mis-discussion.I mean are we talking living rooms or stadiums here? There is a pretty big difference in how one approaches the two problems and trust me they are not the same.I do a lot of pro sound work, but in all honesty, they don't ...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 29 December 2004 14:12 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: JBL sub1500 corner horn?
That is a nice woofer. It works well in sealed cabinets, and is not underdamped (peaky) in even very small boxes, down to 0.5ft3. However, bass response isn't good unless the cabinet is made larger than at least 1.0ft3, where f3 is 60Hz. In my opinion,...
7 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Thu, 23 December 2004 21:53 «» By: Earl Geddes
Re: Trying to understand bass "quality"....
TomI don't want to critique your discussion, most of which I agree with, but some I do not. I would say that any attempt to discuss the perception, measurement, or design of a LF system without discussing the room is pointless - unless the room is of a l...
8 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Wed, 08 December 2004 14:24 «» By: tomservo
Re: Trying to understand bass "quality"....
HiIt would be hard to point at what makes your system sound the way it does in your room given the number of possible factors and not hearing it.I would bet however that if you measured the speakers outdoors, where the speakers are primarily the main infl...
9 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Tue, 07 December 2004 01:52 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re:Not all pictures are worth a 1000 words - maybe too true!
Speaker design and system setup are apples and oranges, in my opinion.Anechoic means "reflection-free," so if a speaker is designed to work best in an anechoic environment, it is designed to work best outdoors. That's really all there is to it. When peo...
10 Forum: Measurement «» Posted on: Fri, 03 December 2004 00:30 «» By: Wayne Parham
To measure or not to measure (and what good is it anyway?)
Any good engineer or scientist will tell you that the proof of any concept requires measurements. Measurements provide verification. Without validation of a concept, it is just a hypothesis.But where does that leave the DIY builder? If building loudspe...
Pages (22): [ «    7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22    »]

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 00:07:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio