Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
495 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Mon, 07 July 2008 14:24 «» By: Wayne Parham
How about multiple smaller subs?
I would opt for more subs, not larger. That will allow you to smooth room modes. My suggestion would be to use four smaller subs and position them where CARA shows will give you the smoothest bass throughout the room. An example would be four LAB12 woo...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 26 June 2008 18:18 «» By: Wayne Parham
π cornerhorn behavior
The π cornerhorn reaches pretty high because of its simple design. It provides useable output over the woofer's entire range.On casual inspection, one would expect a self-cancelling reflection notch in amplitude response at the frequency where the woofer...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 25 June 2008 15:52 «» By: Matts
Re: 7 Pi bass cabinet
Paul, So far, much of what you're experiencing seems to me to be normal for new speakers. I'd wait until you have 100 hours or so on them to tinker too much. Have you tried the 8-ohm taps? You'll be shocked at what the upgraded iron does over the whole...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 20 June 2008 14:56 «» By: Wayne Parham
Four π and room interactions
The heat sink on the front of the Kilomax is one of the reasons I stopped using them. I love the idea of pole piece wicking, but don't much care for the idea of putting the heat sink in front of the cone. In fact, I have a patent applied for a pole piec...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 20 June 2008 12:53 «» By: Colin
Re: Room modes
Thanks for the response Wayne; what you say makes allot of sense. I'm just left wondering if it really applies to me.I should take a picture and post it so you could see my basement layout. The room is actually rather well-damped. Left side wall is flo...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 20 June 2008 12:13 «» By: Wayne Parham
Room modes
Basements are usually very difficult to get sounding right because the walls are so rigid. Room modes are pronounced, making a resonant condition that sounds like singing in a shower. Some bass and midbass notes are way over-represented, others aren't t...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 13 June 2008 11:33 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: More woofers - helps to smooth room modes
That would be fine. The LAB12 in a 4.5ft3 box was just a suggestion. I picked it mostly for price/performance. There are plenty other options that would work well for you. The main thing is to use several woofers in strategic places in the room to smo...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 13 June 2008 10:48 «» By: PaulW
Wouldn't it be easier just to get a couple of small commercially available subs and hook into the system, or is the something special about the LAB12's? One reason for asking this is that my small KEF sub I use for the home cinema set-up has died and I w...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 12 June 2008 19:08 «» By: PaulW
So is that literally put the LAB12's in a 4.5 cu-foot sealed box and connect them in parallel to the existing pro 15's in the 7 Pi's? If so, I'll investigate some prices.Paul
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 12 June 2008 16:47 «» By: Wayne Parham
You could connect pairs of woofers together and drive each pair with a single channel. This isn't to increase output, it's to smooth room modes.One of these times, if you're inclined to experiment, grab a copy of CARA and model your room. Place woofers ...
Pages (50): [ «    29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44    »]

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 04:35:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio