Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
495 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 17 December 2009 09:44 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different?
To me, they definitely sound more alike than different. All my speakers have basically the same tonal balance, and they're all designed to generate a uniform pattern. They all use the same tweeters and woofers, at least in "families" - three ...
2 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Tue, 24 November 2009 14:28 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Going without a subwoofer.... even with smaller drivers?
I only scanned through his approach, so I may have missed some detail. But in general, I think he's using an overdamped vented alignment, one that gives a gradual rolloff, much like a sealed alignment. I'm cool with that, it's a very forgiving alignmen...
3 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Wed, 11 November 2009 19:08 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: enclosure uni project, and ideas?
I would suggest four things: 1. Contact Martin King and see about getting his TL modeling software. He can be reached at www.quarter-wave.com. 2. Setup and learn acoustic measurement equipment, if you have not already done so. There are several...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 01 November 2009 21:43 «» By: Wayne Parham
Multisubs
Next step then (in my opinion) is to getcha some subs. I love the sound of my four π speakers even without subs, but adding them puts them really over the top. It's really about smoothing the response as much as it is about increasing extension. One...
5 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Sat, 17 October 2009 23:32 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Horn Loaded woofers
Outdoors, I prefer horn loaded subs because of the need for lots of sound. But indoors, I prefer a distributed multisub approach instead. I can get much better quality from four direct radiating subs placed around the room than a single or even two hor...
6 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Sat, 17 October 2009 14:13 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Horn Loaded woofers vs Line array woofers Question
Indoors, I'd prefer the woofer array because it is distributed. Look at the multisub approach, which smoothes the sound field by breaking up room modes. Outdoors, I'd prefer hornsubs because horn loading increases effiency by matching the electro-mecha...
7 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Mon, 12 October 2009 14:39 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Interesting New Line Array Design
Yeah, I noticed that too. Measurements taken at different locations and averaged together will tend to smoothe the curve. This is sort of how the multisub approach works to smoothe the modal region. Where there would be dip from destructive interfer...
8 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Fri, 02 October 2009 13:24 «» By: Wayne Parham
Dense Interference
Look at the concept of dense interference. When several acoustically distant sound sources (direct and/or reflected) combine, some constructively, some destructively and some in-between, what you have at any given listening position is neither a full ca...
9 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Mon, 28 September 2009 16:28 «» By: Wayne Parham
Multisubs
For indoor installs, I like subs to be run up higher, sometimes to around 60-80Hz, other times even just north of 100Hz (if close enough to mains). The reason is to introduce dense interference in order to smooth room modes. Multiple subs
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 14 September 2009 21:56 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 3pi
The three π's are happy in any room size although I do find that eight feet is about the lower limit of any room dimension, really for just about any loudspeaker. Probably nothing smaller than 100 sq. feet with standard eight foot ceilings. I'd much ra...
Pages (50): [ «    23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38    »]

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 23:58:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio